Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driveability and collectability of sportomatics

73 Sporto

i 'VE DRIVEN THIS ONE ;MY ONLY PROPLEM WITH THE SPORTO IS THAT IT ISN'T A 5SP,JUST 4 SP;aS MENTIONED IT IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC,IT'S A 4 SP WITHOUT A CLUCH PEDAL THAT YOU SHIFT.I'VE OWNED THEM ALL;THE SPORTO IS GREAT. CHECK OUT THIS CAR AND THESE SPORT SEATS
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by pmjt
    Hey Erwin - do you mind me asking the chassis number? Mine is an 'L' - chassis number 11810056 making it very, very early in '67 (August build) and I've been on the look out for an earlier RHD.

Philip
    11800402 - click on the link in my sig for more detail and pics.

I know the sporto's have the S brakes, do they have the S fender oil coolers as well.
    Phil

they do have the loop cooler. sportos share TC oil with the engine, you run one hard, they GET REALLY HOT. they need a better heat exchanger for the oil when driven hard. i think capacity is 13 quarts...
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

Querking

Sportomatics only rarely show-up --- even here . . . for sale or otherwise. Interesting

Looking at this Olde Threade, some interesting contributors on . . . . many who don't post much here, any more

I've always thought of Porsches --- all Porsches . . . as quirky + definitely not for everyone. And --- w/ Sportomatic right up there at the top . . . I'm surprised that more people don't appreciate these cars for their . . . uniqueness

Frankly --- a car w/ an RS-spec motor + Sporto sounds weirdly thrilling . . .

So? . . .

Any personal experiences/thoughtful observations/legends/vicious rumors/d@mn lies to dish about? . . .

. . . especially from you S-Pilots

We Can Be Heroes

"a car w/ an RS-spec motor + Sporto sounds weirdly thrilling"

"Any personal experiences/thoughtful observations/legends/vicious rumors/d@mn lies to dish about?"..not really, but like an idiot I passed on this "911/83 powered one" not that many years ago in the low "$30's"...it went back to Germany....just another one of my brilliant decisions .../ Lars... ...
    Last edited by larwik; 02-03-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

See? --- this combination is fascinating to me. Seems like this is the kind of car Porsche sells today . . . GT3 + pdk

VIN = 9114601005

Wonder where this car is now? . . .

. . . and my condolences, Lars

And --- just curious . . .

. . . why d'you pass it up?

Was it the price? . . . or the Sporto?

We Can Be Heroes

Bought mine about 5 months ago with the thought of eventually converting it, happy to report that now I'm fascinated by the operation of the car and can see the desirability of them creeping up. It is an absolute joy on the open road and seems to operate quite well up in the hills as well. Quite an experience and I will keep it in as long as I can.
    69 Bahama T
    S Reg# 2753

Quote Originally Posted by pmjt View Post
    Hey Erwin - do you mind me asking the chassis number? Mine is an 'L' - chassis number 11810056 making it very, very early in '67 (August build) and I've been on the look out for an earlier RHD.

Philip
    Hello Philip,

I'm being told that my car was the first sporto LWB T to be imported to the UK, I'm waiting for the factory to confirm. Unfortunately it lost the gearbox and engine in SA like many others. If I found both I would probably sell to a collector if someone showed interest. It's obviously RHD.

My car was one of the first batch of 6 cars imported, I have proof of that already.

Vins:

"why d'you pass it up?"

1) - I didn't know better!...had just gotten a "sound advice" from one of the more active collectors/"players" on this board during this time period, who btw referred to a 1974 Carrera RS 3.0 as an "Impact bumper car with no future!"...and 2) - I couldn't "wrap my head" around the sporto ...even checked into conversion to manual...body and paint by J.Torres to very nice standards to boot...someone in Germany is laughing their a$$ off right now...and Good for them..../ Lars...

P.S... Isn't this what they call "learning curve"?
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314