Thread: How long can tires be stored before they get hard?

How long can tires be stored before they get hard?

I run Bridgestone S-03's on my 911 and love them. Needless to say I was very disappointred when they discontinued them. The choices of performance tires for 15" wheels are getting slimmer and slimmer. This being the case I was thinking of stockpiling a set or two of S-03's for future use. My question is this, how long can a new tire be stored before it starts to get hard and crack or no longer be as good? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

I ordered five new tires, three came from the warehouse with a mfg. date that was about 6 mos old and they of course were fine. two others came with a mfg. date that was over 2 yrs old and you could tell a huge difference in the tires. the older tires were much harder and my installer did not want to mount them. they were sent back and after a few words with the warehouse they found some newer ones.

don't think tires that have been on a car for 2 or 3 yrs are an issue but those that sit around in storage are a different story. I have heard people say that the shelf life of a tire might be around 5 to 6 yrs but even after half that amount of time you could see a difference.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I'm not sure if you can find anyone on this board to give you a precise answer since it would involve a complete knowledge of the compound ingredients and a chemist to determine the interactions over time. But as for storage, I keep my race tires over the winter in a thick plastic bag, pickeled in a solution called Formula V that is suppose to "feed" the tire and keep them soft, and I suck most of the air out of the bag with a shopvac before sealing them up. Also keeping them in the coolest place possible. like your basement away from any light, is also highly recommended. The longest I kept tires stored for was two years and the durometer readings were the same as the day I stored them. I was using Hoosier Slicks at a 430 coumpound which is just about as hard as high performance street tires. If the sets are are going on clearence, and if they are cheap enough, go for it.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

but what about your pyrometer readings
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser