Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: '74 porsche 911RS 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by vramani View Post
    Want to thank all of you I was about to purchase this car!

RM knew 3 days before and did not even let me know about any of this until I called at 1am central. They even had the car in line to move to the auction stage.

Quote from RM
    "There seems to be some chatter on the net the car VIN is incorrect" (this thread of course) did not read till today.

I called the seller last night and was told he did not know about the issue but due to the concerns pulled the car????
    Sweet, this exactly what I was hoping for. Bravo to RM for finally doing the right thing and pulling the car at the last minute. I would much rather read this message than then the opposite 'after the fact' lament.

There are really good '73 Carreras out there, most not in plain sight. With some good networking I know you can find a good one. I'll send you an email to get you on your way.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Jack Molinier strike again! Amazing. Always a good story though.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Glad to see that this ended up "right" and that our knowledgeable members vetted out the real story. Interesting that this discussion made its way to RM and the seller. So what is the real story on 1109? Is that sitting in some owner's garage after being purchased by Mark? Is this car a complete fake with a restamped VIN and engine from that 74 Euro Carrera? If the real matching numbers 1109 car is known, what happens (or should happen) to this car?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Very interesting day, Friday. First thing that morning a very knowledgeable RS person inspected the car carefully and took photos. Based on a number of issues, including the welds on the torsion tube, the stamping on the case and the restamped plate, serious questions were brought to the attention of the auction house. Late in the afternoon a VERY important consignor brought it to the attention of Don Rose who had consigned the car - RM had been alerted to this thread on Thursday - and it was only then that RM contacted another nominal authority who came to inspect the car about an hour or two before it was set to run. It was this inspector who pointed out the California law on re-stamping that likely REQUIRED RM to pull the car.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Woah! Don Rose is a friend of mine. Ironic that he would be the one on the Jack Molinier debacle. I had thought of telling him about this thread last week but I wasn't sure there was more then hearsay at that point, and didn't know it was connected to him. Can't wait to hear his side of things. By the way he is a very straight forward decent person. I don't think auction houses are any better or worse then any other business selling a used car. If they seriously vetted everything they sold there would be no auctions. I hear so many negative stories about buying cars from dealers and then also hear people saying positive things about those very same dealers, (from many of the people posting here among others).
    Last edited by yale; 08-21-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

It will be interesting to see if it comes up again at auction in another state with different laws - say Amelia Island (Florida)
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

If it were my car I would be very concerned that it would be confiscated and sent to the crusher.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    agree, but much easier to do a private sale to an unsuspecting customer with no internet eyes to bring up the known history.Time is on this cars side.

raj
    But if it were unloaded a quick search of the internet would expose the discrepancy. If I were that buyer I would be on the phone with my attorney, and demanding my money back.

I don't think time is on this cars side, I think it was but information like this is now a keystroke away. I also think that finding a buyer with 300 large
    to spend on a early 911, that can't work the Google machine is unimaginable.
    Last edited by super9064; 08-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    steven

well said-REQUIRED

raj
    Raj,

Point well taken on my part. I gave them too much credit it seems.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)