Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: FS: '74 porsche 911RS 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    Since it still shows the estimate and that it WILL be offered by RM, could this just be the previous listing that has yet to be taken off?
    Interesting that when viewing the RM auction results, lot 162 ceases to exist. I wonder why it doesn't show it as having been pulled, as those future potential buyers may not find this thread on 1109 when doing a search, but they would certainly find the RM auction, and therefor be able to see this car being pulled from the auction, perhaps giving them an easier method of seeing the possible red flag associated with this car. I find that strange, and I do see the possible reasons that this would be done, but still makes me think the auction house has no desire to find the truth. And again, I know why they wouldn't care, but they should be enthusiasts, this should be their job and their passion, and the facts should be important to them.
    It just burns me is all, it's not that hard to do things right.
    Last edited by ///msw3; 08-22-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: addition
    Spencer
    Early911s #1912
    '60 356B Roadster
    '69 911T 2.8 MFI
    '69 911S
    '77 3.0 Turbo
    '10 GT3
    '88 M5
    '90 M3 sterling silver
    '90 M3 alpine white (sold)
    '04 M3 blk/blk (sold)

Jerry Seinfelds representative was all over the car...I watched from a distance. Later that day a friend (who was there to buy a 300SL) was told (by Seinfeld's rep) that the car was not as it was presented was the chassis was indeed re-vined/ re-stamped.

Yesterday we ran into Max (RM Auctions) and his crew at Pebble. We asked them about that car and why it was pulled....they said they didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by steven0401 View Post
    Very interesting day, Friday. First thing that morning a very knowledgeable RS person inspected the car carefully and took photos. Based on a number of issues, including the welds on the torsion tube, the stamping on the case and the restamped plate, serious questions were brought to the attention of the auction house. Late in the afternoon a VERY important consignor brought it to the attention of Don Rose who had consigned the car - RM had been alerted to this thread on Thursday - and it was only then that RM contacted another nominal authority who came to inspect the car about an hour or two before it was set to run. It was this inspector who pointed out the California law on re-stamping that likely REQUIRED RM to pull the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Jerry Seinfelds representative was all over the car...
    And he had more than a little help.....from a former member here.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    That was Sam Cabiglio. There were others there even sharper than him. It's not even Memorex. (most of you too young to remember that line).
    Thanks Tom ! I have enough reminders already!!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    And he had more than a little help.....from a former member here.
    Can't wait to talk with him a get the real dirt on this car.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Youse guys...

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    .... There were others there even sharper than him. It's not even Memorex. (most of you too young to remember that line).
    From Maxell...same thing. I don't EVER want to meet Vladimir...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank god for auctions...... They are real conversation starters!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

It was indeed the former member here who spotted the problems (as well as other, basic restoration stuff) Friday morning and was somewhat responsible for RM calling Sam. Sam pointed out the re-stamp issue. The former member spotted the transaxle problem (NOT the correct RS homologation unit).
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

I heard Sam Cabiglio did not say it WAS NOT a real RS but instead said it MIGHT NOT be a real RS. Speaking of real and otherwise here is the Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche (at least from Jack Molinier) for this car!! The auction company put some weight in this document as I am sure many of us would have as well. I had always heard that Ferrari started to make it hard to get build sheets on their cars when people started faking the cars using the numbers on the build sheets. In Ferrari's case there are internal engine numbers that would also have to be faked. Are these Certificates of A easily and often faked? The auction company took this CoA on face value, had no knowledge of Jacks history, and saw extensive restoration documentation on the car so they felt they had done their diligence. Anyway it does make for good internet chatter and as someone says it's only a hobby here.

I don't this we have heard the end of the story on this car.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Of course I meant to say "think" in my quote above not "this."

Tom,

That money comment above always confuses me when people say it. We live in America after all. Being all about money doesn't mean that everyone out there wants to mess up their reputation or would knowingly sell a car that was not what it was reputed to be. I think RM made tens of millions this week in California why mess around with a car someone has proved to be dodgy. And that's the issue here, there was only internet conjecture which when they heard they tried to figure out what was going on and pulled the car when there was a chance it was not legit.

It's not like I don't feel a bit annoyed that Sports Car Market is written mostly by dealers and others who have a stake in the value of the cars they write about. But on the other hand it is a really enjoyable magazine and I know who writes the articles so who is being fooled. In the RM case they were the ones who got taken as they spent time and effort in marketing a car that turned out to have stories.

Sorry for this long story; I went to an authors reading last year and one of the writers, though he was black, wrote about his experiences with white supremacist groups in the North West. He read about going to a gathering of one group who were pretty surprised that the writer they had been emailing with turned out to be black. Nonetheless he was a guest and they treated him as one all be it warily. As everyone prepared to leave the writer was unable to find his car keys. The folks at the gathering, though ostensibly racists in the most dramatic way, did everything they could to help him look for the missing keys and even offered to drive him home.

My point is that it's easy to make blanket statements like "it's all about money" which make perfect sense in the abstract but if you get closer to many situations the story is often quite a bit more nuanced.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo