Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: FS: '74 porsche 911RS 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    I heard Sam Cabiglio did not say it WAS NOT a real RS but instead said it MIGHT NOT be a real RS. Speaking of real and otherwise here is the Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche (at least from Jack Molinier) for this car!! The auction company put some weight in this document as I am sure many of us would have as well. I had always heard that Ferrari started to make it hard to get build sheets on their cars when people started faking the cars using the numbers on the build sheets. In Ferrari's case there are internal engine numbers that would also have to be faked. Are these Certificates of A easily and often faked? The auction company took this CoA on face value, had no knowledge of Jacks history, and saw extensive restoration documentation on the car so they felt they had done their diligence. Anyway it does make for good internet chatter and as someone says it's only a hobby here.

I don't this we have heard the end of the story on this car.
    This CoA doesn't make much sense, as most don't. Looking at it we can see many mistakes. I realise that the Carrera RS book is not infallible but why would you get a CoA on a '73 RS? Just look up the car in question in the back of book.

The transmission serial number is missing the first digit which is a '7' on the CoA. The interior code is 12, which is black leatherette with Corduroy inserts in the seats. Special order interiors have a 99 as this code. The book lists the options as:
    258-headrests, left and right
    409-sport seats, left and right
    419-retractable seat belts, left and right
    432-add'l long range driving lights , iodine , white above bumper
    440-retractable antenna, left and loudspeaker

Thats it! No mention of black and red interior, or rear luggage storage instead of seats, or 4 speakers, or sports steering wheel. Totally laughable that someone would put this much money into a restoration of an "RS" based on a silly CoA when you have a resource like the Carrera RS book.
    Last edited by fryardds; 08-23-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I agree , well said Brian

I just looked up the car in the book and was about to write the same thing as you - but then looked at the rest of the posts and saw you had done it

What is of more concern to me, and we all have seen horror stories with the COA's, is how such a COA was even written, and whether it was done AFTER the car had been built this way, or before. Also that a reputable auction house actually used it as "evidence" of authenticity, if indeed they did. There are things on it like the description of interior code 12 and the luggage storage that are so fanciful that i cant believe even PCNA would put in a COA without some level of prompting.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    fanciful .
    In one word a great summary to this whole affair!

I do have a question.... why does the former member, who's name is not to be mentioned, not rejoin the registry? It seems his nemis is no longer around and it is apparant his passion still exists?
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    In one word a great summary to this whole affair!

I do have a question.... why does the former member, who's name is not to be mentioned, not rejoin the registry? It seems his nemis is no longer around and it is apparant his passion still exists?
    He's around, just not posting. I think it's hard for him to be moderately engaged in the forum, so better not at all from his point of view.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Isn't that the truth Steve!

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Rs 1109

This is a picture what I found in my stash of data, I can't remember when I took it from the net, but I do believe it is the genuine 1109. I hope the current owner doesn't mind posting it here.

Rgds, Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Cees,

Very interesting. The car looks the same now, down to the unique paint scheme on the wheels. Based on the tile the car sits on it looks like somewhere on your side of the Atlantic. Do you agree? Any idea on the date? Is the original digital photo you have associated with a date on the file information? Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I see a white Toyota Tundra in the background... I don't think it's a Hilux.

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    Hey Cees,

Very interesting. The car looks the same now, down to the unique paint scheme on the wheels. Based on the tile the car sits on it looks like somewhere on your side of the Atlantic. Do you agree? Any idea on the date? Is the original digital photo you have associated with a date on the file information? Thanks.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Hi Brian,

I agree, I guess I got the picture at least 5-7 years ago and either it is from Mark Waring's site at the time, or even from Autofarm's site ? On the other hand it could be that the picture is made in Holland and then I would think the car went through the hands of Mr. Berry Smits. Maybe I can check the license plate number and who the car sold on. Other option is to contact Mr. Mark Waring but I have never spoken to him personally.

Regards, Cees

Hi Cees,

Unfortunately Mark Waring has no records of this car. Thanks for checking for any Holland registration information.

Yeah Tom those pavers don't really look all that unique to they. Guess we didn't need the Lt. for that one did we.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299