Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: '74 porsche 911RS 3.0

Engine Number Mystery

I did ask the seller to give me info and pics of the engine number stamping.

He was very forthcoming with the info part, but has yet to send any pictures verifying the engine number.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

Hugh,

Agreed this is very strange now that you have told us you have RS #1109 with a matching # engine. Maybe one of our 'Motor City' brethern can make a trip over to see the car and get some large, clear photos of the serial and type # stampings to see exactly what is going on.

I also agree that Mark Waring has been around these cars for a long time and it makes sense that you have the original motor in your car and not in some chopped up Carrera 2,7. I have heard stories about some questionable things done by Kremmer over the years with serial #s. Some of these stories could be true or complete fabrications but it would be very interesting to inspect this engine further.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds
    Hugh,

Agreed this is very strange now that you have told us you have RS #1109 with a matching # engine.

Brian

sorry I did not express myself well

to clear up any confusion I meant that I have a RECORD of the car being sold by Mark Waring in 2002 in my data base ( a little like the one I know you and some others on the board on keep of wher these cars are and when they change hands - not that I actually have it. So far as I know it is still in the UK

my fault for using a shorthand expression - i did not even read it the other way until i saw your post
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I'll head over this week and see the car. I'll report back with info and pictures, if possible.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Whoops

Yeah Hugh, I did mis-understand you. Glad you cleared that up, it is a bit of a relief that you don't own that RS. It takes the personal aspect out of this discussion about the engine.

Bill,

Thanks you doing the leg work on this. We await your report.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Hi guys,
    looks to me like a 74 Carrera 2.7 which should have the 911-83 engine. I am always sadened to see those cool cars butchered up like this. Engine # is apparently out of a 73 car, but still the correct type for the car. The RSR stuff in the description is BS.
    I does have the correct tach but wrong speedo. One sorry car in my opinion. Perhaps worth the engine. To make this car right and have a correct 74 Carrera 2.7..........(mucho trabajo & mucho dinero) I would not want to do it.
    Just my 2cents worth.
    Jurgen
    Quote Originally Posted by kaufmanp
    no affiliation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...10421989QQrdZ1

--------------------
    peter kaufmann
    '73 911e fully rebuilt 2.7rs carrera mfi specs
    74 Euro Carrera 2.7 #0390

64 Apollo 5000 GT (ex Milt Brown)

72 Ford Capri 2,6 RS

I believe the speedo would have been changed out as part of the federalization when it came into the US.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Funny stuff.
    The car has got a dutch licenseplate (weird if the car was imported to the US in 83 and not running for 6 years), which gives te following result (according to the dutch car registry):

Kenteken/license: LH-90-KG
    Voertuigsoort/type: Personenauto
    Merk/Brand: PORSCHE
    Handelsbenaming/description: CARERA R.S.
    Kleur/color: Wit
    Brandstof/fuel: Benzine
    Massa leeg voertuig/weigth empty: 950 kg

Datum eerste afgifte Nederland/date first registered in Holland: 23-08-1984
    Datum eerste toelating/date first allowed: 23-08-1984
    Datum aanvang tenaamstelling/date registered on owner 18-03-1985

How can it be registered to a owner in Holland while it should be in the US according the description? Also, it is a 84 type, not a 74 according to the first allowance date. Weird item.

Even if it didn't look like it does, I wouldn't touch it with a 12 foot pole....

Looks like this car is starting to pick up some bids now.

I got some pictures of the engine stampings and they look real.

The VIN stampings on the chassis have been tampered with. The owner says it does not have the aluminium VIN tag.

The original color was Magenta. Probably not too many cars ordered with that color. The importation papers use the 9114600263 #.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Last photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390