Thread: suggestions/tips removing 71 outer CV joints

suggestions/tips removing 71 outer CV joints

Mine are VERY stubbornly stuck on the stub axle. Don't believe they've every been off. Four bolt, with two roll pins.

thx in advance,

I use a stout putty knife and tap it in between the two flanges, working my way around the CV until it starts separating.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I just did them on the 70T. Had to go to Autozone and get their large puller. Good deal, you pay for it and have 60 days to return it with full refund. Two of the joints had to be pulled off with the puller. Dirty job! Good luck. Steve

As per Ed's advise....Snap On sells a stout rigid "putty knife" that is approx. 1/16 " thick with a wooden handle. It's rigid enough to get between the flanges and allow some leverage to separate them. I don't see how a puller is useful to separate the flanges...maybe to drive the splined outer hub out of the axle, but then you still have to separate the flanges. They're never easy, but that Snap On knife is the trick. Most putty knives are too flimsy, and I have not seen anyone selling one similar to the Snap On.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Similar Threads

1. How are YOUR CV Joints?
    By Haasman in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 07:40 PM