Thread: What does "Equipment: 470" code stand for? (LONG VERSION)

Question What does "Equipment: 470" code stand for? (LONG VERSION)

Do you know what does "Equipment: 470" code stand for, for a 1970 S Coupé?

The reply from Porsche arrived, about my 1970 S Coupé, but brings some more questions:

-What does "Equipment: 470" code stand for?
    -Is there a way to decode in detail this 470 code?
    -Is there any way for me to know what kind of seats did the car left the factory with?

According to the T Registry for the 1969 model (www.911t.org/options/), the 470 code would stand for "APPEARANCE GROUP" options:

-Velouren Carpeting
    -Gold "Porsche" Nameplate and Model Number
    -Aluminum Door Sills
    -911S Rubber Moldings
    -Chrome Rocker Panels
    -911S Instruments
    -Rubber Bumperettes
    -Leather Covered Steering Wheel

On another forum (DDK), someone also posted this, about a 1969 T model, quoting a Porsche Factory Installed Accessories document, dated 1/1/69:

The 1969 Comfort Group includes:
    -OPTIONS: 9107 5.5 x14 forged alloy wheels with 185 HR 14 tyres
    -9203 911S instrumentation
    -9218 Leather steering wheel
    -9304/9305 Rubber tipped overriders front and rear

AND

-911S rubber mouldings front and rear and both sides
    -Ventilated disc brakes
    -Chromed rocker panels
    -500-Cycle Horn (Hz?)
    -Aluminium door sills
    -Gold lettering PORSCHE name plates
    -Self levelling hydraulic front suspension
    -Full velour carpeting

Sooooooooooooooooooo... does anyone here have a reference chart/brochure for the 1970 S model, like the one found at www.911t.org/options for the T? Do "T"s have it and we ("S"s) don't...?!

Many, many thanks!
    Vasco Ricardo

"I spent a lot of money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest I squandered." - George Best
    ------------
    Early 911S Registry member #1067
    RGruppe member #609

Smile

Well, my car is as "S" (not an ass!) coupé, with an "S" chassis number and 2,2 S engine, made in July 1970 – Of that I'm sure! So maybe it's the 470 thing that's wrong...

Thanks!
    Vasco Ricardo

"I spent a lot of money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest I squandered." - George Best
    ------------
    RGruppe member #609

Here is my thoughts on this. The Options and Accessories brochure does list option code 470 as "Appearance Group" which consists of all of the options that you listed above. The books says that this is only available as an option on the "T" which is correct, because it was standard on the E and S.

Every E and S would have recd this package as standard, but you could option it out on the T if you chose. This is why if you look at the individual options in the brochure such as velour carpeting and stainless sills, they also are listed as 911 T only. This doesnt mean that they were not available for the S, it simply means that the T was the only one that didnt have these as standard.

Hope this helps.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Wink

Cheers!

You Rock!!!
    Vasco Ricardo

------------
    RGruppe member #609

Cornpanzer is right. The reason that they separated the 470 "S" equiptment was for homologation. The "base" S was without the group so it could be homologated lighter. Of course only racers didn't order the 470 group. Tricky way to get a lighter homologated weight for the car baseline.
    H