Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ca. Smog Bill: A.B. 616 FOR CARS 15YRS & OLDER

Makes me glad I live next door in unincorporated Nevada. No smog emmisions here.
    Maybe you guys should look at getting a PO box and storing your cars over here if this comes to life..

Rub it in, Stig!.../ Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

CA legislation

Lars...never happen ! You don't even need to write a letter. Cop is FOS !
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Its now AB 859

Here is the link: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery

Unless I am mistaken, this will open up a box where you insert the bill number and then choose what you want to look at. This is yet another bill by Assemblyman Jones. Last time he tried to slip something similar into an existing bill just prior to its final passing. A sharp eyed observer noticed it and started a fuss. I found out about it via the SEMA Action Network and it was removed after a lot of us started making loud noises.

There is NO real info at the moment. They haven't posted the contents of the bill and show status as having been read for the first time and at the printer. So, we can only guess that it is essentially the same as the old AB616.

AB616 isn't a total horror, unless like me you own an early 930 and have to pass smog standards far more stringent than the car was originally buit for. [This is the same thing they used to do with the early 911s and the S cars were almost impossible to pass. The cars were being tested with arbitrary standards that were MUCH more restrictive than the cars were built to pass.... errr.. just like what they do with my 930. And you think they aren't trying to simply get rid of us? I wish I were wrong but....]

If Jones gets his way and this passes. Next year he, or one of his cronies, will have another bill going after more cars. If you are in Calif and driving an early 911 and think... "This has nothing to do with me".. well, don't cry here about it when they are suddenly hot on your tale as I promise you they will be after all the cars they can include. I believe the only reason you don't see a draconian bill including all older cars is that they know it wouldn't have a prayer of passing.. but.. it they go in steps and include..more and more.. of these dirty carbon emitting polluter noise makers... they CAN accomplish the same thing over time. [I have older and newer Porsches and I have a stake no matter what.]

I hope I am paranoid... and wrong.. and they are merely innocents wanting to clean up the state... and haven't noticed the huge industries that are polluting like crazy.. but it is... ok.. because they buy carbon offsets.

Please consider signing up for SEMA membership. It costs nothing. If you check the box you can also be part of the SEMA Action Network which goes to bat on legislation for us.

Meanwhile.. AB 859.

JR

AB 616 changed to AB 859...

OK...Thanks John and Curt....I feel better now....I signed up for the SEMA "Heads-Up" and bookmarked the AB 859 on the state's web-site...so they changed AB# so it wouldn't come up on a search? Is that it?...I don't trust those "knuckle-heads" and I'll bet they will try again....jeeez...all I needed for my "Targa California 2009" mental preparation.....
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

I like breathing air that won't ruin my lungs.

I just keep watching Cali's eco-silliness and wait for all those great cars to come to TX where we still believe in liberty.

I do feel for you guys.

........and this just in.

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    I like breathing air that won't ruin my lungs.
    Where are you thinking of moving to?

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    what reality is: we have termed limits, and the the political atmosphere will not have the time for this non-sense. the author is NOT a political force in sacramento. the bottom line is that our governator is a big hot rod, nostalgia car fan and he would NEVER sign this bill. GUARANTEED !!
    The Governator is the one who signed the bill repealing the rolling 30 year smog exemption. That being said...what justifies him not signing this one?

It's all about trade off...sign my bill I'll support you over here. He's a politician (whore) and will do what is required for his agenda.
    http://www.nbdgraphics.com
    73/83/93 RS clone, 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    I just keep watching Cali's eco-silliness and wait for all those great cars to come to TX where we still believe in liberty.

I do feel for you guys.

........and this just in.

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.
    This has to be a joke, right?
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....