Thread: Porsche parade

Porsche parade

I will be in the area of San Diego next week and wonder if would be possible to attend the Concourse on Monday. Will there be ticket sales at a gate? Do you have to be a PCA member?

Any information is appreciated.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678
    I will be in the area of San Diego next week and wonder if would be possible to attend the Concourse on Monday. Will there be ticket sales at a gate? Do you have to be a PCA member?
    To participate in the Parade, you must be a member, of course, as well as to participate in the Concours or to park in the paddock area (which has a $20 fee and requires pre-registration, which is already full and closed, AFAIK.)

From the Parade website:
    http://www.pcasdr.org/Parade/paddock.php

"At the Concours d’Elegance at Admiral Baker Golf Course, Parade San Diego entrants will be given the opportunity to partake in a Porsche Paddock free of charge, while a $20 fee will apply for Paddock participants not registered for Parade. The paddock will be a large area at the concours site reserved for a non-judged display of members’ cars grouped by similar models.

There is very limited parking available at the Concours site, and cars not entered in the Paddock or Concours will not be allowed to enter the area until after 10:00 am. Additionally, shuttle buses will be making round trips from the Town & Country to the Concours site all day."

I believe there is no fee for just viewing the concours, but parking and transportation to/from are going to be problematic, especially before 10:00am. The Admiral Baker Golf Course is a Navy facility and restricted somewhat for the general public, and I don't know if the shuttle busses are going to require membership cards or Parade registration, or whether any interested party will be able to board them. I am planning on viewing the Concours myself, but am not entered in the Parade, so I will ask some questions of the relevant chairs about this and report back.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    I am planning on viewing the Concours myself, but am not entered in the Parade, so I will ask some questions of the relevant chairs about this and report back.
    OK, I got some answers regarding the concours. There is no gate fee, and although they are not advertising the event to the public, Porsche enthusiasts will not be turned away. No one is checking for PCA membership. However, as mentioned, parking may be problematic at the site, and you can't drive in until after 10:00am anyway, so the best bet may be to take a shuttle bus from the T&C Hotel, the host site. They will pickup at the curved drive in front of the Atlas Ballroom.
    Map is here.

There may be some overflow street parking along Santo Road once the parking lot fills up at the Admiral Baker Golf Course (concours site), so you may be able to park there and walk in, but the bus is probably your best bet.

More details on all the various events are available on the 2007 Parade website. If you are going to be in town on Sunday only, walking thru the parking lots at the Town and Country will likely reveal many interesting cars. The trailer parking and car wash area for concours prep is on this map.

The Wed. autox event at Qualcomm Stadium will be open to all, and should be interesting. There is also a "Grudge Match" autox on Friday, recreating the Parade course, for those who felt they just needed a few more shots at the course, and for those who are not entered in the Parade to have a go at it, to compare their times. All you need to do is sign a waiver to get into these events to spectate, but if you want to drive in the friday "Grudge Match" autox, you must be a PCA member and fill out and fax in your entry before this friday, 6/29.
    Entry form is here.

HTH,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Posted by the Historical Display Coordinator for the Parade, John Straub, on the PCA-SDR forum:

Just to let you know, on Monday at the Concours these are the Race Cars I've got coming. Take a look and bring a camera, not often do you have cars like this in town! Many of these cars are Le Mans winners! Or Targa Florio winners!

Don Anderson: 1965 Bobsy Porsche SR-3
    Bill Perrone: 550 RS Spyder and 1964 Elva Porsche
    Bob Gagnon: 1992 Carrera Cup
    Richard Roeder: 1960 356 Super 90 GT
    Ted Gildred: 1964 904
    Bill Noon: 1964 904
    Gina Cunningham: 1959 Convertible D
    Don Tevini: 1959 356 Coupe
    David Loynd: 1986 944 Turbo GTR
    Brad Hook: 1969 908
    Mark Leonard: 1969 908 Spyder
    Stanley Gold: 1964 904 and 1967 910
    Mike Hagen: 1970 914-6 GT and 1981 924 GTR
    Tony Samojen: 1970 914-6 GT
    John Straub: 1970 914-6 GT
    Bob Weber: 1977 934.5
    Tom Davidson/Skip Shirley: 1955 Carrera Speedster
    Paul Bernardo: Porsche-Diesel Tractor

And maybe some more as we talk.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Tom,
    Thanks for all the information. I own a US Carrera Cup car as well, nice to see it mentioned in the same breath as other cars listed above.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    I own a US Carrera Cup car as well
    Phil-

They are very cool cars, IMHO, and plenty quick! Bob Gagnon is regularly in the top-10 at PCA-SDR events with his. There will be at least one more 964 Cup car driving down from Seattle for the Parade as well. Do you have one of the USA version cars converted by Andial?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Talking

Tom,

I do have one the Andial double converted cars (built twice into race trim). It is a much stronger car on race track than I would have expected. I am faster driving it that my old GT4 911. It is a much easier car to drive at the limit. These are pretty underapreciated cars, I really just tripped across mine and figured heck they only built 45 of them I should buy it. I really do love car.

Phil

I'll be there with my RSA at the padock with the other RSA's. Can't wait to see the early race cars.......especially the cup cars mentioned above. I want one
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76