Thread: Hoosier R5, 205/50x15s okay?

Hoosier R5, 205/50x15s okay?

I have some Hoosier R5s that I'd like to use for autocrossing. (I know they're not the right compound, but I'm willing to experiment.) The Hoosiers are a full inch wider than the 195/65x15 Yokohama street tires that I have on the car now.

My car is a stock 73.5 T Targa. Will the Hoosiers rub my rear spring plates or the fender arches?

Many thanks.

Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom...what size rims are you going to use for the 205x50x15s

Quote Originally Posted by johnhora
    Tom...what size rims are you going to use for the 205x50x15s
    Good question. 15x6 Fuchs.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom-

I had no problem running them on 7" Fuchs with both my '73 and my SWB cars. They are a very short tire, even if they are wider than most 205s. You need the A compound for autox, though, the R5 doesn't heat up and stick as quickly.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    Tom-

I had no problem running them on 7" Fuchs with both my '73 and my SWB cars. They are a very short tire, even if they are wider than most 205s. You need the A compound for autox, though, the R5 doesn't heat up and stick as quickly.

TT
    I know, but these are paid for.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom...they should work ok on the 6x15s....205x50x15 work better on 7x15 just fit better the tread lays flatter....thought I have used 205x50x15s on 5.5x15 before and for what you are doing it should be just fine...as Tom Tweed mentioned the R5 is a road race tire but for fun and experimentation and to save $$$ they will be great and do better than most street tires for your autox.......if you have another set of wheels try the R5s on them....try them out and have fun....that's what it is all about...good luck