Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video restoration of a 911T Targa (in German)

I did not understand the german but it appears he picked this car out for the resto. Wonder why he chose that particular car? a targa t (not that there is anything wrong with that) but resto costs the same so why not go with a coupe S or one that had a lot less rust to begin with? did not really make sense to me to spend $85,000 US dollars to restore this car. but great video thats for sure.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

15 minutes of fame...

They copped my photo from Pelican of the ST/RSR tank I once had!

Great video; Thanks!

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03
    I did not understand the german but it appears he picked this car out for the resto. Wonder why he chose that particular car? a targa t (not that there is anything wrong with that) but resto costs the same so why not go with a coupe S or one that had a lot less rust to begin with? did not really make sense to me to spend $85,000 US dollars to restore this car. but great video thats for sure.
    - Kabeleins is a german cable TV station, money (i.e cost of restauration in comparison of potential resale value of restored car) was probably not their prime issue.
    -Car "owner" is TV presentator of this TV serie.
    -They searched a "to be restored" car for max. 10K Euro but had finally to settle for 12.8K Euro (17.5K US$) with vendor. S model was probably even more expensive..
    -All suppliers are known companys in Germany and probably got free publicity too...
    -I regret they did not used correct 2.2l fittings but otherwise its an interesting video.
    Registry member No.773

Excellent!!!!! Thank you so much for posting that link!!
    S Registry #835

LOVE IT!

Another way to practice my German...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Wow! There went two hours of my time. After redoing mine all by myself, I'm really jealous of all the teamwork that went into this restoration. My quibble is that they did not paint the visible interior sheet metal black before installing the carpet and interior panels in the "innenraum".
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

Even with the language barrier (don't speak german) this is one fine set of shows. Thanks you and Karim for posting the link.

It answers the question "just what does it take to bring an old 911 back?"
    Bob
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Talking Amount of work required....

I agree with you, it really shows the huge amount of work that is needed to bring back to life a 911...unless the car has been carefully and steadily maintained over the years.

In retrospect, it seems to me that the original price paid for the car (usd 17.000) seems too much for such a restoration project...

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Thanks for posting these links. It turned out to be quite a nice car. There were quite a few inconsistencies however, like when they claimed that flares would be unacceptable as they were not available in the year the car was build and then proceeded to mount the S-front bumper that was also not available in 1970 Also the 205 wide tires that they claim not to fit on a narrow body car fit fine on mine. Anyway, this is just nitpicking, these show is so much better than what is currently on tv that I am going to watch it again.
    Peter Stey
    1973 T Coupe with 2.7MFI
    1970 S Targa (sold but not forgotten)

Wow Milou...thanks for the links! As I don't understand a word of German I don't even bother turning on the sound...the video is awesome. I gotta figure out how to save them on my computer for future reference..
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330