Thread: RUF Porsche

RUF Porsche

Breakfast gathering of local PCA members turned up this unique car. 1977 which had been performanced enhanced by RUF. Anyone have details of Ruf in Germany who modified 911's? Just what was done to them besides the obvious body modifications?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

ruf carrera

form the look of the torsion bar opening in the quarter panel it would be a later model (g50) car. i don't think it is a 1977.

Very much doubt its a '77.

More likely a 3.2. The front bumper looks like a CTR (late 80's) or a BTR (mid 80's I think).

The earlier cars like a SCR (based on sc) had a very different front bumper.

probably not...

I agree it is a G50 car. In a nutshell, it is very unlikely to be a genuine Ruf car. During that period he did very specific cars and he didn't build anything based on a narrow body Carrera EXCEPT the CTR and those rear flares/rockers/bumper are all subtle and unique and EXPENSIVE pieces. The immediate giveaway woudl be very large brakes, 10x17 Rufs on the rear...oh, and a very big turbo engine!

One more little detail . . .

Ruf-built cars have their rain gutters 'shaved'

Here's Don Murray's --- see post #55 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=roger+tour
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-06-2014 at 03:45 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    One more little detail . . .

Ruf-built cars have their rain gutters 'shaved'
    I don't profess to be a Ruf expert, but I did attend an open house he hosted for the now-defunct Germany chapter of the Porsche Club of America at his shop in Pfanffenhausen three years in a row. As Mr. Ruf led a tour and talk, he would also describe details of the cars that were currently undergoing work, both new and old. It was clear that he did as much or little to each car as the client wanted, and he considered them all "his" cars whether they carried a Ruf VIN or not.

Edit for clarity: while Ruf is a registered car manufacturer and Ruf-manufactured cars have a Ruf VIN and may well all have shaved rain gutters, it was surprising to me to learn that even in the 2000's Ruf still worked on and modified many, many other Porsches both new and old as a tuner, performing only those modification the client requested - it wasn't an all-or-nothing proposition.

Here's a little Porsche-tuner trivia: ever hear of Hani? Me either, until I found a 1980 911 SC for sale near Munich, back in 2005 or so. The body shell was purchased new from Porsche by this guy Hani, and it had a special VIN and Fahrzeugbrief (title) declaring it a Hani-Porsche. Most other parts came from a wrecked SC. It had a 3.2 liter engine with MFI, turbo brakes, 915 transmission with 'short' gears, a limited-slip differential and oil cooler, and an uprated suspension, clutch, etc. It was lime green and did not have a sunroof. The interior was stock Porsche, with black leather sport seats. It had about 40,000 kms on it, looked and drove very well and was for sale for about US$25K. I already had a '81 930 turbo at the time so I passed on it...but will always regret it. I did just a bit or research but was never able to learn more about Hani.

-Scott
    Last edited by smclaughlin; 02-07-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Guys
    Ruf cars are simple to check.
    Ruf has his own vin number, due the fact the company is officially registered as a car producer in Europe, not as a simple tuner.

And correctely, all Ruf cars haven't rain gutters.
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE