Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing through the grill fogs

Installing through the grill fogs

I am installing some fog lights on my car. They are the Hella TN4 US fogs.

I have read that they do not need a relay and that the wiring from the grills to the fusebox(lower) fuse #8 is already in the original wiring harness, I have found these wires. But what about the harness from the dash switch to the fusebox? I guess that this harness is not a part of the original harness on cars that did not have the fog option from the factory. What colours should these wires have and how do they hook up to the switch and the fusebox?

I have a single stage switch, but do not know what it is for(look at the picture) and I am not sure how to wire the switch if I can use it.

I also read somewhere that the fogs is supposed to turn off when the high beam is turned on, how is that possible with the original setup without the relay?

I would like to replicate the original setup if possible. I have read all the previous post on fogs but still need some more info. I hope someone can help...

If someone has a original harness from the switch to the fusebox I would like to buy it, if its for sale. (also the correct switch)

BTW I am a monkey when it comes to electrics in cars

Best
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I am in the process of doing the same thing (slowly). Where did you get that switch, and what are you using for mounting brackets? I know MSRoadrace sells them on ebay for $100, is anyone around here making them for less?

Paul
    My ignition is retarded.

The harness is 911 612 027 00. Porsche still may have some for sale (around $40). The circuit does have a relay and it's part of the harness. The original switch 911 613 027 00 is impossible to find, so people use other switches like hazard, rear defroster, or earlier fog light switches. Do you know the p/n for the switch you have? In a '73, the switch connects to 1 ground wire that goes to the cigarette lighter (seen in the top photo) and 1 wire that goes to the relay and 1 wire that provides power to light the bulb. The short connecting wire on the switch applies power to the bulb when the switch is on. I'll try to find a link to the schematic or upload a pic of it later. Gary

Paul: My mounting brackets on the 73S are original, I will copy them my selves for the 71T.

Gary: thanks a lot, really appreciate if you find schematics that are easy to understand. Maybe you could just make a drawing? The p/n for my switch is missing if it is supposed to be on a small yellow sticker.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Sorry for the delay.

Attachment 34972
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you post a picture of the switch - side and bottom - and list the numbers and/or letters by the contacts?

There are 2 ways to wire this circuit as shown above.
    For the USA: the white-yellow wire connects to the fuse 3 for the low beam light and so the foglights only turn on when the low beam is on. The blue-white wire from the relay is attached (male/female spade lugs) to a brown wire which is attached to a body ground and NOT to fuse 1 & 2.
    For ROW: the white-yellow wire is connected to fuse 7 which is for the license plate light, and the blue-white goes to the fuses for the high beam. I'm guessing that when the high beams are turned on, the foglights go off.
    For both, power to the foglights comes from fusebox I (#1, fuse 1 or 2), thru relay (#5) (when it is activated) to contact 87 and from there thru fuse#8 to the foglights.

The relay is activated as follows:
    For USA: when the low beams are on, the yellow-white wire has 12v which is applied to relay pin 86 when the foglight switch is on. Relay pin 85 goes to the body ground, so the relay is powered.
    For ROW:The white-yellow wire is at 12v when the license plate lights are on, and when the foglight switch is on, relay pin86 is at 12v. I AM ONLY GUESSING that relay pin 85 is grounded thru the high beams when the high beams are off, and so the foglights are on. When the high beams are on, the relay has 12v at both pins 85 and 86 and is off.

The switch #4 is a pull on for front foglights and rotate for rear foglight. It has an internal light shown at the bottom.
    Zithlord, do you know how to use an ohmmeter and have access to one? Gary

Thanks a lot Gary

I will manage now, I have bought a fog switch of Ebay. My next challenge will be innstalling 118 driving lights on my 73S.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Hi,

I can help with the install of the driving lights as I recently removed some from a very original 72 car. I also have pics, so let me know and I will send/post them.

Alan

yes please Alan! If its not to much truble, send the pics to john@nld.no. Its probably best to zip the pics.

best regards
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Hi John, sorry for the delay with these. I had to fire up the back up storage computer to find them. These are the wiring for the driving lights from a 73 we stripped ages ago. Think I still have them somewhere!

HTH

Alan