Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing through the grill fogs

I just noticed the yellow bulb wire is visible on the switch pic. I'm a DIY person, so I'll take any help you can throw my way. I'm fairly adventurous, but I do stupid things all the time
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Fog light wiring

The brown (usually but not always) wire goes from the bulb back to the switch. At least, that is my recollection and I have several images of same. It works so that when the switch is pulled out power is sent to the bulb to illuminate it and (as I recall) the relay is pulled to ground and at that point turns on the fogs. And here is a later diagram for a '76 which shows the terminations on YOUR switch. Now, you should be good to go: the wire coming out of the back of the light goes to K, 2 on the switch goes to pin 86 on the round relay, 1 goes to the fuse box selection you pick (I'd pick the parking lights-then with the vehicle lights are on parking or low (or high) you'll be able to activate the fog lights via the fog light switch. And 31 goes to ground/cigarette lighter ground spade lug.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 03-06-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Hi Allen...thanks for that!!! I say yellow, but in looking at it, it's more of a bs brown color I hooked up the bulb to the K spade, and will hook up the ground (from the cig lighter) to the 3 spade. I'll put the white, and the white/yellow wires to the 1 and 2 spades on the switch.

A 76 diagram...right switch?
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Excellent information, guys. This is high on my to do list. I am working on getting the parts and pieces together. So where did you guys get your wiring harnesses?
    Chris

Early 911S Registry Member# 2536
    '70 911E Coupe Albert Blue
    '73 Signal Orange RSR backdate from an '84
    Sold: '98 C4S Arctic Silver
    Sold: '05 GT3 Speed Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by gregbus View Post
    Hi Allen...thanks for that!!! I say yellow, but in looking at it, it's more of a bs brown color I hooked up the bulb to the K spade, and will hook up the ground (from the cig lighter) to the 3 spade. I'll put the white, and the white/yellow wires to the 1 and 2 spades on the switch.

A 76 diagram...right switch?
    Same electrical design switch but with nomenclature like your switch. That's why I showed it.

My harness was made by Gerard Kroon http://www.kroonwireharnesses.com. A very nice guy in Holland that is quite familiar with the Porsche brand. I found him on this site even. I ended up getting the relay (and plug) over at Sierra Madre, but I think you can get those at a variety of shops. In fact, I'm sure he can get them over there as well. Check out the TTG products that Eric Linden (soterik here) has at AFS http://www.autoforeignservices.com/. Great stuff there! It helps to get a knowledge transfer from Allen too...
    Greg

Thank you for the kind words Greg ! I have the foglight harnesses on stock now, i found a local supplier for the relay sockets.
    If anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

Name:  Foglight harness.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  58.9 KB

I'm in the middle of this process, too. I think I've finally assembled all of the components. So yesterday, I installed the bracket for the fog lights that goes behind the horn grille. Not easy, but once I used a mirror to align the holes, it went fine. Here's the real question, though. How in the h**l do you attach the fog light to the bracket? No way to gain access through the grille? Do you have to remove the front bumper? TIA.

Mike
    Mike Hinton
    Early S Member 1728

1972 911-T Aubergine
    1987 Carrera Granite Green

I had to remove the grills, but keep them in place behind the light, I started the bolt, at the light base, then reinstalled the grills, then tightened up the light bolts. Need two wrenches, and a speed wrench is very helpful..... Not easy to do, but doable. Some one else may have a better trick...
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

I'm wondering if it's possible to pre-assemble everything, then install the bracket on the battery box. I may try that with the driver's side.
    Mike Hinton
    Early S Member 1728

1972 911-T Aubergine
    1987 Carrera Granite Green