Thread: Setting up a remote starter switch

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Setting up a remote starter switch

I have been having trouble getting my 911S to start since I rebuilt it. I thought it would be helpful if, given that I work on it alone most of the time, to set up a remote starter button so I can fiddle with things as I am cranking the engine. Anybody know the best way to hook up a remote starter switch?

Don

Between the battery and the starter solenoid

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

I would put two switches on the electrical console in series. That way they both have to be closed before the starter will crank. You do NOT want to inadvertently crank the starter if you bump the switch, which is avoided by running forward to the cockpit.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Just as a precaution you may also want to fit a kill switch. It'd be nasty if it cranked and caught at the wrong moment!

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Thanks!......................................

I've posted a procedure to add a remote starter switch on an early 911. It should work on most any Porsche given the same wire color code. Here: http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars

BTW, for a street car, it's not necessary to install a kill switch. The regular ignition switch performs that function. For service procedures, it's convenient to be able to crank the engine w/o the spark. Adding one also increases the life of the NLA factory ign. switch.

Sherwood

I used a 25amp push button mounted in the engine bay. One side goes to the 12V constant terminal on the starter and the other goes to the solenoid terminal on the starter. It works like a charm.

Cheers