Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 Tour de corsa RSR photos and info

1972 Tour de corse RSR photos and info

Original post......
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 09:06 AM.

These cars definitely deserve their own thread. Photos are few and far between. As mentioned, this was the official debut of the Carrera RSR. The event is the Tour de Corse held in Corsica on November 3, 1972 (btw: TDC was also the official debut of the Lancia Stratos).

LEO-ZA-68 / 911 330 0789 was actually a modified 72S 2.5L with a 2.8L motor.

LEO-ZA-69 / 911 360 0020 was obviously an RS/RSR.

Neither car finished the event. Waldegard wrecked LEO-ZA-68 during the event. LEO-ZA-69 served as a test car for the factory over the winter months - shown here with the telltale white door.

Hopefully we can find some more fotos & info on these cars.

It's really tough to tell from these photos, but it sure does look like an oil door here ....

Last photos are very interesting...notice how the rear flares are installed...lots like some of my work...lol

that is.... looks like some of my body work....boy even my emails are ruff...

This is a great thread to compliment the "Targa" one.

Can anyone (Curt????) help identify this photo / car. It is from the Aichele book "Porsche 911: Forever Young" and the text accompanying it suggests that it is Rally testing in Africa.

The car looks like one of the LEO -ZA cars. On high magnification it does not look like there is a licence plate under the mud. Therefore it MAY be somewhere on the Porsche test track area and not in Africa.

The RS book says (on pp 163) that one of the LEO-ZA cars "R1" which it identifies as the Waldegaard car, after a considerable amount of time on the "Panzer" test track, was used as a practice vehicle in the 1978 safari rally. I was wondering if this is what is depicted in the photo? It would however be surprising to me that it actually Africa and it was in the same livery over 5 years later

In any case I am very confused about the reference in the RS book to "R1" in this context. The other references about the Waldegaard car LEO-ZA-68 as Curt has posted above are also a bit confusing suggesting it is a 72S but giving a 73S chassis number that could not possibly have existed at the time of the TDC (Nov 3 1972).

However nowhere else has it been suggested that LEO-ZA-68 was "R1" which is RS 911 360 0019 a genuine 1973 build car with, according to John Starkey's book, a 1973 production number.

The other car in the TDC, Larrousse's LEO-ZA-69 is supposed to be R2 911 360 0020 and there does not seem to be any dispute about that. It is also (according to the RS book) the car that is supposed to have gone to the winter testing at Paul Ricard in December 1972 and is shown there in the pics above.

My version of Starkey's R-RS-RSR book says that "R1" was used at Paul Ricard with Van Lennep and Muller and Singer as engineer, and does not show any competition history for it Maybe that has been changed in a later edition and I need to upgrade from my first edition

In any event I think that this thread gives a chance to nail down some of these issues surrounding the competition debut of the RSR.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

IIRC,
    About 5-10 years ago Josh Sadler at Autofarm restored one of these cars - I suspect it was the 2.5 S converted/prototype RSR - and had it for sale.
    Perhaps Andyjboy can shed some light on this one.

Cheers,
    Cennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Dennis
    In the late 1990's Autofarm restored the ex Zazada car which became RS 9113600001 and is discussed in another thread and in detail on John Starkey's website.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123
    Sure looks like the leo-za cars,with a couple of changes the ride height seems higher,looks like there is no cutout for 3 outlet tailpipe so it looks like a single outlet,looks like the rear window is taped in and has metal tabs.Possible damage to the roof from roll-over?I am wondering whether it is possible it was before the tour de corse,since Leo-za 68 had a 210hp engine and this car seems to have a 72 oil flap,before upgrade to RSR spec?
    Not only is there no cutouts for twin pipes, but the rear bumpers look like steel not lightweight (see broken reflector on LHS and tape strip) but there are no bumper over-riders similar to some of the lightweight ST's and earlier cars.

The pic of LEO-ZA-68 from the rear at TDC looks like it has fibreglass bumpers and overriders and it has the cutouts in the rear valance for twin pipes. Also it does not have any tabs holding in the windows.

I thought the metal tabs for the rear windows might be to stop it popping out in rough conditions rather than a sign that it had sustained damage - although if you blow up the picture and look at the line across the top of the window where the vents are it looks like there may be some damage to the roof and it might be a trick of the light but the centre of the ducktail looks strange as if damaged and repaired roughly and the LHR guard near the ducktail seems damaged.

I cant see any sign of the sponsors decals that should be showing if it was in the trim of the tour de course - ie the SHELL decal on the rear quarter or the BOSCH near the rear lights - however COULD this be the Waldegaard car AFTER the accident at the TDC testing at the "Panzer" track?? (ie patched together but not completely fixed)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

reinforced jack points

they look like factory rally modifications to me

see pics Larrousse lightweight ST (with holes drilled in them )

3 pics of RS 285 (one of the factory Safari Kuhne & Nagel cars S-AR-7909 )
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776