Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1 owner survivor '67 911S is revived! Lots of pics!

My 1 owner survivor '67 911S is revived! Lots of pics!

Hi All,

It's been almost a year now since I picked up a one owner numbers matching '67 911S coupe with 26,000+ miles that had been sitting for 20 years, and she's finally finished! Here is the article I posted a couple months after I bought it:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=13246

I had the original paint buffed by a professional and it turned out great! It's shiny but a little cloudier than what shows up in the pictures...just adds to the patina IMHO. The interior cleaned up nicely and I had Al Reed refinish the Fuchs. I cleaned up the engine bay, boiled the fuel tank, replaced all the fuel and brake lines, replaced almost all the body seals and the master cylinder, rebuilt the calipers and the IDS carburetors, and did a full engine service. I still have the American Racing magnesium wheels too from the above thread too! Still want to refinish those...

The original owner's son has sent me some incredible things in the mean time as he's found them going through his father's things...the original German tourist delivery license plate, California black plates, rare spare parts kit, original certification and registration from 1967, and complete factory service manual!

Best of all, he found the negatives of the family trip to Germany to pick the car up! He printed off two photos from 1967 showing the car with the same German plate I have for it! My favorite is one with skis on the roof and the Swiss alps in the background. The stuff of dreams...does anyone else have pictures of their 911 from way back when?

However, I'm still not that enamored with the SWB cars...I was really looking for an MFI '72-73 911S when I found this one which was too original to pass up. The 2.0 is a very rev-happy engine, but I do more canyon carving than flat out racing, so I think an MFI S would suit me better. I know I'll never find another car like this, so I'm hoping to give it a chance. I might be up for trading for an MFI 911S or consider selling it outright.

What do you guys like about the SWB carbureted S cars? Perhaps I can be convinced into keeping it...she really is a special 911.

I owe the board many thanks for all the help I got as I brought her back to life!

Here are the photos...best thing to do is click the "View Slideshow" option. I'll scan the prints from 1967 at work tomorrow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9334302...7601984714361/

Here are a couple of pics in case you don't have time for the huge set on Flickr:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What a classic. My wife just saw it and said it was sweet. I couldn't agree more.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Very nice!! Keep it and enjoy the benefits of a one year/owner SWB car.

Some tips(I am in high end restoration/finishing work on 356/MB's):

If that is indeed the original paint it will need more than a 'detail' by a local shop. Next level will be to remove all badges,mirrors and all other obsticles to get a proper buff(that's why the cloudyness by all these articles). Fine brush out all wax residue in all trim/rubber. Get some #0000 steel wool and polish up the real chrome(seat sides,other bits). remove all the pitted screws(interior) and hit them on the polisher to remove all moister residue. Do not use Armor All ever.

Use all Wurth and Zymol products and you will have yourselve there a very true one owner 'survivor' 67S!!

** I went through the same with my 67S-one owner and 75K miles. Getting an engine 'detail' right now. More pics coming as I finish.

Again, very nice job.

Steve Var.

Survivor67S, congrats on getting the car going. I remember reading about your find last year and was wondering recently what ever happened to you and the car. Glad to hear you are enjoying her. The car looks great and what a cool story. Awesome documentation and other stuff too. Just a great story!

Enjoy that car for its history and irreplacability - they are only original once. I would say don't sell it, but if you really want a 72/73 S, then that is excellent "trading stock." But... If you want to sell it, then sell it to me.

Enjoy the car.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Wow,
    I was wondering what happened to that car. Looks great! Congrats!

What did you do with the Americans? I would be willing to take those off yoru hands
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

That is a VERY special car as you no doubt have or will figure out from your inbox full of offers/interest from the usual suspects. I am always saying that these cars are not investments but your car may just be the exception that proves the rule. Truly a blue chip among early 911Ss.

You will probably never find such an original and well documented early car again; very few of this caliber exist. My bit of advice: If you do decide to sell or trade the car I believe it is worth at least two driver-quality 2.4 S cars. Collectors, me included, are willing to pay a hefty premium for original cars with bulletproof documentation and great period accessories--something your car has in abundance.

Take your time with the sale, find the right buyer and you can pretty much name your price. And I know this is something you hear a lot but someday you're going to regret selling this car. Good luck.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I did get a lot of pms and emails...I don't know if the car is *quite* as nice as the pictures show. I should take some pictures in some bright sunlight...you can see it in a few pics, but the paint still looks a little cloudy in the sun, and the driver's door panel and rear quarter panel have been repainted at some point due to being hit with a bicycle. The detail shop I took the car to did a good job of making them look close though. The spare parts kit is missing some stuff too and the toolkit is AWOL.

It does have some cool period accessories, like the AMCO shift knob, Talbot mirror, and American mags...best of all he kept the originals parts too! It also is very clean underneath...the shop owner called it a "California virgin" I'll post some pics with it up on the rack at the shop.

I really do love the car, especially the history behind it...I feel so wrong wishing it were a '72-73 MFI S coupe in a bright 70s color. I've been driving it for the past month or so and miss the instant response and torque of the MFI 2.4 911S Targa I used to own awhile back. That car was also black and I'm more partial to bright colors. Am I too picky or what! I should really just be happy with what I've got.

Here are the promised pics of the car in 1967. I added larger versions on Flickr. Anybody recognize these places?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'm in love. Is it wrong to lust after your neighbor's significant other?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor67S
    Hi All,

It's been almost a year now since I picked up a one owner numbers matching '67 911S coupe with 26,000+ miles that had been sitting for 20 years, and she's finally finished! Here is the article I posted a couple months after I bought it:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=13246

I had the original paint buffed by a professional and it turned out great! It's shiny but a little cloudier than what shows up in the pictures...just adds to the patina IMHO. The interior cleaned up nicely and I had Al Reed refinish the Fuchs. I cleaned up the engine bay, boiled the fuel tank, replaced all the fuel and brake lines, replaced almost all the body seals and the master cylinder, rebuilt the calipers and the IDS carburetors, and did a full engine service. I still have the American Racing magnesium wheels too from the above thread too! Still want to refinish those...

The original owner's son has sent me some incredible things in the mean time as he's found them going through his father's things...the original German tourist delivery license plate, California black plates, rare spare parts kit, original certification and registration from 1967, and complete factory service manual!

Best of all, he found the negatives of the family trip to Germany to pick the car up! He printed off two photos from 1967 showing the car with the same German plate I have for it! My favorite is one with skis on the roof and the Swiss alps in the background. The stuff of dreams...does anyone else have pictures of their 911 from way back when?

However, I'm still not that enamored with the SWB cars...I was really looking for an MFI '72-73 911S when I found this one which was too original to pass up. The 2.0 is a very rev-happy engine, but I do more canyon carving than flat out racing, so I think an MFI S would suit me better. I know I'll never find another car like this, so I'm hoping to give it a chance. I might be up for trading for an MFI 911S or consider selling it outright.

What do you guys like about the SWB carbureted S cars? Perhaps I can be convinced into keeping it...she really is a special 911.

I owe the board many thanks for all the help I got as I brought her back to life!

Here are the photos...best thing to do is click the "View Slideshow" option. I'll scan the prints from 1967 at work tomorrow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9334302...7601984714361/

One other thing to think about when considering the rarity of your 67S. Very few early cars were painted black from the factory. It was a special order color. The rarity of your car is special. As for wanting to trade for a laer model 2.4S with MFI, I would urge you to have your car dialed in properly on a dyno before committing to sell. The 2.0S carb'd motor may not feel as responsive at first, but once itis warm and you get to the 4-5 range, it will jump. Check your plugs and get a very good CD box. The 67S's were finiky and fouled plugs easily. After I put on an MSD Box, my car seemed to find a whole new level.