Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1969 911S: why the black sheep?

I am not the 69 expert but I have seen a couple with the alum. lid/plate and owners say they were original. Dr. Johnson book does make mention of aluminum lids/plate on 69-71 on the S. I know there have been a few E's with them too.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I have s/n 119300940 and it has a steel rear deck and center panel. I have owned this car since 1981 plus my parts manuals for '69 (original, not repro) do not include anything different for the rear deck and center panel in the sheet metal section 8/4 and 8/5 nor in the accessories (where the rolbar is noted but no other comp parts). Having said that, my car came equipped with a rear wiper which may have caused the factory to opt for steel. I know this pops up from time to time on '69 models and this is an era where the factory tried different things. Kenik, what material is yours? Early s/n cars who knows? It would be good to hear from someone who was at a dealer at that time to see what got delivered.

Attachment 37386

Attachment 37387

Here's a couple of pictures of my car
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My yellow 69S has fiber lids and plate panel
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

I just went to look at a '69S non-sunroof coupe this evening at my neighbor's restoration shop. The car was brought in for evaluation for a possible sale to my neighbor. He let me know about it so I could check it out with him.

The car is VIN 119300753 and was originally green metalic (6852) but is now an Ivory color. The short description is the car is rough, but the engine is interesting.

It has a 3R/3R, unstamped case (no serial or type #). The engine appears much fresher than the rest of the car. The current owner has owned the car 10 years and didn't do the rebuild, nor does he have records of a rebuild prior to his ownership. The MFI pump is 001 and the castings on the stacks correct for a 2.0L S. It also has the correct timing decal on the fan strap. The casting # on the heads is 901.104.308.1R. Is that correct?

I couldn't read the date stamp on the case half, other than it was made in week '50'. Oh, it also has the original 901/13 transmission.

Here is a photo showing the unstamped engine # area. I wonder what the story is on this one?

PS The engine lid is steel with the original 3 bar grill painted black.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Sounds like the 1R case let go in '71/'72. This would be a correct factory replacement case for that time period. The heads are correct '69S.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by greens
    Here's a couple of pictures of my car
    Beautiful car, GreenS !
    1971 911E Targa

All of you 911E owners, come join us at The 911E Registry at 911E.org

BTW, my car has a steel lid.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks for the info Kenik.

Yesterday was the day for '69S car for me.

I looked at the car above. Came home to research what I was looking at and noticed a link to a nice Burgundy '69S coupe at European Collectibles that was posted in the For Sale section. There were no details, just the photos. (Now the details and price are listed)
    http://www.europeancollectables.com/..._inv_id=Po1821

Five minutes after I look them over I browse the newest Pano I just recieved yesterday and notice this ad.

"1969 911S Coupe
    #119300123, burgundy/blk lea, US spec., sunroof, matching numbers, orig. 2.0L MFI & only 67,000 orig. mi, all serv recs last 30 yrs., Yada, Yada.........$47,000. John Moore, Niles, MI"

Crap!!! This car was only 30 miles away and I missed it. Day late and $ short I guess.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Thumbs up

Scott thanks for the nod on my car...it is a great driver (which in CT is about 8-9 months).

On a more obsessive note, I was looking at the burgundy car and noticed the position of the rear wiper. Mine is parked vertically while that is horizontal...always saw the pictures the way mine is....experts what's the verdict? Overall that is a pretty nice looking car.