Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dent be Gone

Dent be Gone

After an unfortunate mishap on the PacWest tour to SLO my 71’ 914-6 wound up with a rather sizeable dent on the Rt. Front fender. A real bummer… So now the question of how to deal with it. First a little background, I’m the original owner, the SIX still has the original paint and is in very good shape. Not to mention it only has 57,000 miles on the clock . Don’t get me wrong here, this is a driver and not a hanger queen. Conventional repair was out of the question, There’s no way to match the 36 year old paint. After a little research on dent removal I went to the local paint-less dent removal shop (Dent Wizard in Bellevue). A very nice and honest fellow, unfortunately he told me exactly what I didn’t want to hear. The older cars have thicker gauge sheet metal, along with some undercoat or mastic. Also the paint is totally cured by now (technical term for very brittle). In short he could not guarantee the paint would not crack when attempting to remove the dent. I remember reading about a guy in Tacoma by the name of Birch Abraham aka Dentcrafter, and heard a lot of good things about him. Well, to make a long story short I took the car in to him today and he did an excellent job! His tool selection kind of looks like a collection of mid-evil torture devices, but he defiantly knows his craft. Birch spent about five hours on the car, took the time to explain some of his methods and reassured me that he could do the job without cracking the paint. He also took care of a few other little issues I have collected over the years. Bottom line, the car looks great. If anyone has a similar situation, I highly recommend Birch.
    Bernd Buschen
    R Gruppe # 357
    71' 914-6 Original Owner
    70' 914-6 GT Stoddard Built
    69' 911E Scott's car
    70' 914-6 Sold

Thats great news. I've had very good luck with the paintless dent removal guy on my "regular" cars, this saturday he is coming to the house to work on the 911 ( lots of small stuff )
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

I took the local Dent Wizard to a Porsche meet about 6 years ago. They all looked at him like he was from another planet, that is, until he did one for free on a newish Cabriolet.
    The crowd then lined up and he had a nice day charging a little less than "in the shop" time.
    There are good dent guys and bad ones. A local dealer tried to undercut this fellow by hiring a guy and teaching him "on the job". After he blew about 3 Jags he was quickly replaced. No other than the guy I know.
    Bad dent removers can leave a "high spot" where dent once was. Sort of like the guys fixing the roads with an asphalt patch except nobody runs over this to flatten it.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Good to know, Bernie!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Sometimes holes need to be drilled to get the tools in. Not a good thing, but still better than patch & paint! I had 2 very small dings in my M3 repaired and they were able to do it through existing openings - turned out perfect. The 3rd ding was near a sharp crease in the fender flare. It was tough location and they probably shouldn't have tried it but they did and they cracked the paint slightly It's barely visible, except to me of course!

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Hey, that's great news, Bernie. I'm probably the only guy out there that is about as relieved as Bernie, folks. Why? I'm the dumb schmuck that put the dent there in the first place. I can't tell you how bad I felt...

A kind of weird set of circumstances led up to this little "oh sh!t" moment. It all started when the roll pin on my clutch pedal failed on the way to SLO. Bernie managed to find a screw for some part of a Webber carb linkage that would make a decent temporary substitute, and the midnight hotel parking lot repairs began...

Funny, my wide open door cleared Bernie's car while we were doing the under dash work. Not by much, but it did. I closed the door loosely up against the side jack before jacking the car up to adjust the cable, then opened the door to check pedal free play. It still cleared Bernie's car... Then I left the door open while I lowered the car, and closed it when we were cleaning everything up. We had another beer, and went to bed.

I was the first one up the next morning. The morning light revealed this ugly, big ass crease running vertically on Bernie's fender. I opened my door, and sure as hell, it lined up... but didn't touch. It was pretty darn obvious to me that it had hit when I was lowering my car with the door open. Must have been how it pivoted on the jack and far side tires. I was just sick... How on earth was I going to break this to Bernie?

I have to tell all of you how cool Bernie was about this. Thanks, Bernie, for not killing me and leaving me for the seagulls. I'm so glad you found a guy who could fix it right. While I still feel like an idiot, at least the car is o.k.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

I only wish I could find someone talented and willing to try some stuff in the NYC metro area. Anyone disciver anyone decent? I'm in northeastern Bergen county, NJ, but would drive to find someone talented. Many dings on a few of the cars.

-Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Thumbs up

Lewis ~ I have a fellow that did my car today, I'm in orange county NY. but he works all over lower NY, give him a call at 845-489-4605 his name is jeff, Dent Tech, he is the real deal .Ron
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Great news! I am so glad to hear this, Bernie!

I was there when the jack was released - not a moment I would like to relive seeing again. All those drinks at dinner didn't help any...

Bernie is one stand up guy I have to say - his attitude about stuff like this (and stuff in general) is one I would love to see adopted by more folks!
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

is there a painless dent website that tells the "tricks of the trade",

I do not want to do it , but it would be nice to know whats really possible and why some dents can be fixed this way and some not,

When you are looking at a car to buy it would be nice to consider the painless dent option instead of repainting a panel etc

Dave