Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your "correct" radio in dash.

Hopefully this answers some of the questions - period Blaupunkt technical reference.

I dug out the relevant year Blaupunkt Service Instruction binder to double check the point about when first stereo Frankfurt. The first Frankfurt model with stereo decoder appears around 1969 with number 7 639 695 (or 7 639 696 for U.S). The units have prefix Axxxxxx. A technical supplement volume 12/69 describes the stereo decoder. This information, sourced from the period Blaupunkt technical publication shown below, tallies with my earlier post about stereo radio unit appearing in the Porsche Cars GB price list in 1969. Seemingly with exception of the stereo decoder unit is similar to service as the 7639600 mono of that year. There are some differences regarding the unusual placement/ ergonomics of certain controls. I could not find any reference to stereo Frankfurt in the equivalent technical binder from previous year Zxxxxxx.

With these units being introduced around 1969 hopefully this information is relevant to the earlier poster's question as well as addressing later questions introduction of on Frankfurt stereo. Pictures of the reference material:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  58.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  79.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  149.4 KB

Hopefully this information is right and helps. Others may know more. Apologies for all the posts ...at times I can get a little focussed on correctness to technical specification even when it is not so important
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-28-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Faktory Radio Installs

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    . . . Hopefully this information is right and helps. Others may know more. Apologies for all the posts . . .
    Are you kidding? Tech manuals on period Porsche radio installs? Where else could I ever expect to find someone/something like this? Please-please --- post away!

My car came w/ a Köln-cum-power antenna. I've found Faktory pics of the install, an antenna motor (I hope), and a source for the radio (I think) . . .

Problem is --- I have No Idea how all this kit gets installed, so . . .

. . . you might just be my new Best Friend

We Can Be Heroes

. . . This post is aiming to be more definitive on questions being asked about the correct to specification fittings for early 911...knobs, chrome surrounds and so forth . . . The page extracted and pictured below lists the Porsche 911/912 with the relevant Blaupunkt factory code numbers for the parts required . . .
    Good. 'Cause there seem to be a lotta dissimilar bits --- going by some the photos posted above

I don't suppose there are any photos of the all the various knobs + what-not in your materials? THOSE would be the recipe for any install

. . . I do have a set of period Hirshmann aerial materials for very early cars but best not to get sidelined . . .
    You're absolutely right

Start another thread

I'm especially interested in any details that you might have concerning power/automatic antennas + installs. (I have a car that was so-equipped) All that's turned-up so far are some not-so-detailed illustrations in the Faktory's service manuals, and general dimensions for positioning the antenna. I'm curious if Blaupunkt actually engineered the install --- especially the attachment of the power antenna unit. (Thing 's vast --- but almost none of these seem to 've survived/turned-up . . . at least, here, anyway)

Great stuff!
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-20-2015 at 05:06 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

1969 Blaupunkt Catalogue showing 911 and (new for that year?) a Frankfurt US Stereo

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Question- When were the Frankfurt AM/FM Stereo models introduced?

--> 911MRP- thanks for the pictures of the radio models. Nice to have a quick visual reference.
    Here is further information that seems to more precisely answer Hassman and LongRangers question about when Blaupunkt Frankfurt Stereo was introduced in North America. It all tallies with my earlier answer. Source: my original 1969 Blaupunkt car radio brochure.

Picture below gives closer view of stereo unit but this has the typical Mercedes pinstriped (not Porsche) version of backing plate and knobs (I think).

Attachment 337602

The wording "It is here at last." implies that "stereophonic" is being introduced by Blaupunkt for the first time that year.

Also brochure has another set of pictures showing how the core head unit was "made to measure" to match the dashboard style of various marques - includes Porsche. The Frankfurt US refers to "special accessory kits available for all well known makes and models of cars". However, given production and publication lead times for hard copy brochures back in the day - the photo seems to be an earlier MY dash configuration and Blaupunkt unit shown albeit in this official 1969 catalogue. I recommend bearing this lag in mind if trying to replicate the correct dash appearance based on various period catalogue photo references here and I have shown elsewhere in this thread.

The source is dated 7/69. Unlike my other brochures this one looks to be aimed at the North American market specifically because of the incorrect spelling of the word colour , the radio models shown are mainly US versions and, (big clue), there is a Robert Bosch (Canada) Ltd. rubber stamp on the front of my particular copy.

Views: 1034
Size:  64.4 KB
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-15-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add better picture

Becker Europa . . .

. . . says 'stereo,' no less. Bezel-inside-a-bezel? . . .

'72 T --- US-model . . .
    http://www.carsauto.com/1972-porsche-911-t-c-858.htm?

And are those 'period' speakers? ---- anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

70 911E that was parked in 72.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Look like they might be Blaupunkt surface speakers.

This comparison pic is from the 1969 Blaupunkt catalogue for North America that I referred to earlier.

Views: 984
Size:  58.8 KB

Since one in your photo does not appear to have silver highlight lettering/ edge bars I suspect they are actually appropriately from 1972 year because the similar style speakers in Blaupunkt's brochures from that year are all plain black whereas the 69 and 71 brochures have the silver highlights.

Not sure what Becker Autoradio speakers looked like so might be from that company.

Excellent, 911MRP --- really excellent . . .

1st time that I've ever seen any of this Blaupunkt stuff actually/properly documented. AFaIK, this is the 1st pretty-sure vintage stereo install that I've seen --- on this/any board . . .

. . . and on a car that sold maybe 2 years ago, too

Wonder if that owner has any idea? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

LongRanger. Just Sent you a PM. Regards. SP

Posting some pictures of new old stock in box Blaupunkt autoradio equipment from 1970-73 period for those interested historical information on radios and radiocassettes.

Today I needed to retrieve something located in a dark corner, so took a couple of quick snaps of a few things that came to hand before they disappeared back into the dusty shelves again. Hope they are of interest:

A 1970 radio new old stock in box with papers. As noted in previous posts these base radio units typically came without the fitting kit used to tailor them to the marque/model. Shot here shows a plain vanilla radio unit in original box showing how they came wrapped in old school greased brown paper. Full set of matching number papers in a clear plastic sleeve along with variety of leaflets, gauarantee and technical diagrams.
Views: 907
Size:  149.0 KB

A pair of BNIB speakers also from 1970 with unused speaker cable with pins and an opened bag with fixing hardware & fitting instructions
Views: 932
Size:  144.2 KB

This style of speaker was available for a number of years around as shown in photos from Blaupunkt brochures from my earlier posts. Certainly appear in my 71, 72 and 73 brochures. A variant appears in 75 brochure too.

Below is a new in box fitting kit dated 1972 for the period radiocassette recorders as pictured on front of the 1973 British Blaupunkt brochure and the associated price list dated dated 1st August 1972 that shown in another of my postings. This type of faceplate is same as on the Bamberg radiocassette recorder fitted to my early February 72 delivery car. According to a very respected source, option 422 Bamberg was only available on such cars 2nd week of 1972. My 12/72 production car was already made by then and in any event there is no audio option mentioned on any factory paperwork, so I assume my car's Bamberg was a dealer fit when new.

Views: 935
Size:  152.3 KB

The Bamberg radiocassette recorder was top of Blaupunkt range unit in 72/3 and was available in some markets with the traffic information system add on box pictured here - probably the first such system of its type.
Views: 918
Size:  153.4 KB

The price difference between Becker's Mexico and Blaupunkt's Bamberg unit was ~ DM660 vs DM535 according to March and April 1972 Becker and Blaupunkt German market price lists below. According to the respected Carrera RS book the gross price on option 422 Bamberg was 1150DM and option 468 1350DM for the Mexico cassette radio which seems like a big mark-up on the prices in radio equipment suppers own price lists below but presumably Porsche price reflects the fitting kit, speakers and cost of factory fitting. I have not tallied the ancillaries which are broken out in these german price lists.

Despite lower price point than equivalent Becker, the Bamberg also could record voice memos and so it came with a microphone (this one below is also new old stock but slightly later example based on style of packaging - I prefer a vintage microphone unused somehow!)

Views: 944
Size:  118.5 KB
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-11-2015 at 03:58 PM.