Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your "correct" radio in dash.

Guys,

just looking at the radio that Jim has posted - the fm readings go right to left but I have seen dials going the other way ie left to right fm.
    Is there a purpose in the difference ?
    Enquiring minds want to know .....
    A pic from a Euro site ...

Cheers,
    dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

This might help:http://www.type34.com/library/27-aut...wanted-to-know

Looks like it is just the design in the "tuning capacitor" on weather it runs left to right vs. right to left. USA version FM band runs from 87 to 108 so Jim's post is a USA version Euro version FM band runs from 87 to 104.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

do the right hand markets have an fM running out to 108? if so maybe the left - right / right -left has something to do with LH v RH drive ?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03 View Post
    do the right hand markets have an fM running out to 108? if so maybe the left - right / right -left has something to do with LH v RH drive ?
    I was thinking the same thing, but Jim's post has the AM bands running left to right and the FM bands running right to left. Which leads me to believe it is just in the design of the tuning capacitors.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

'Porsche' Radio

My car is a '70 Euro, and has a radio --- even says 'Porsche' on it . . . but it's not the original Blaupunkt Köln that the Kardex says should be there

I'm hoping that someone w/ an original Euro radio install will post some photos, here. Euro radios operate on different bands but I've also seen some different lettering on the push-buttons . . . 'L' +'M' + 'K' + 'U.' The scales appear reversed on some radios, too

In the mean time, what I find interesting about all these photos, so far, is how similar all the knobs + bezels are

Also --- mildly surprised that no Faktory stereos 've shown up. I believe Mr McQueen added a stereo system to his '69 --- in-period . . . love to see some photos of that . . . but no other cars 've ever come up. Kinda odd, isn't it . . . for an up-market car like a Porsche?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
    Jim, are you sure it should not be stereo? I have speakers in the doors of my 1970 "S" which were factory fitted according to the COA I have. This suggests a stereo was originally fitted to my car .....not conclusive know. I started a thread "Radio Experts" and there is a suggestion that stereo was an option. I have also come across a reference to a stereo fitted in period in the Steve McQueen 1969 car. This of course may or may not be correct. Regards, Kirk
    I'm pretty sure that Porsche never "officially" installed Stereo Blaupunkt or Becker radios until sometime in late 71 or early 72. Those installations usually were done by adding a speaker to the middle of the package tray, not putting speakers in the doors. I have attached the pages of the 1970 YM accessory list. There is no mention of a stereo radio (unless one of the listed radios is actually a stereo). Notice that they offer a antenna that fits on the rf fender. Could that be for RH drive cars, only?
    The radio that I posted is in my buddy Adam's 70 911E that he has owned for decades. I going to contact him and ask if he has any history on it. I have also learned to never say never.

Regards

Jim

I see a lot of great radios being posted. I've always wondered about the correct bezels. The example below by gsjohnson shows the type of bezel that pokes out from the fascia, while most of the other documented original bezels I've see sit on top of the fascia (Like Jim's). Is there a consensus here?

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    1968 911 Normale...correct Z series Blaupunkt...
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Quote Originally Posted by kentf14 View Post
    I see a lot of great radios being posted. I've always wondered about the correct bezels. The example below by gsjohnson shows the type of bezel that pokes out from the fascia, while most of the other documented original bezels I've see sit on top of the fascia (Like Jim's). Is there a consensus here?
    I don't know about a consensus but Johnson's radio is a correct radio for a 68 and just about at the end of Blaupunkt radios that did not have a Blue dot of the face of the radio. Johnson's bezel is the correct one used until 1969. Johnson's radio is also convertible from 12v to 6v and negative ground to positive ground. I don't think any of the "blue dot" radios do that.

Regards

Jim

Here is the smooth vinyl faceplate for the '72 - '73 dash boards.

Name:  IMG_1897.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  45.1 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Here is the smooth vinyl faceplate for the '72 - '73 dash boards.

Name:  IMG_1897.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  45.1 KB
    Not the correct bezel, though.

Ciao

Capt Jim
    Blaupunkt Radio Police