Thread: I guess I'm confused...

I guess I'm confused...

A question for you 356 guys:
    Did Joplin ever own more than one Painted-up Porsche??

I thought I remembered her car being a CAB...certainly not a Speedster - am I totally out to lunch on this one?

Sommmmbody enlighten me...

ciao
    Thom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thom

I always thought it was a late model cab. It seems to be a cab in the video but i picked that picture above off a website that purports to show the car in Port Arthur in Texas http://www.gindrat.ch/janis/

I did not even take a close look when I posted it but the car depicted is a speedster

I just searched again and found other pics of "her" car and they all look to be a cab see below:

so maybe the one in port arthur is a fake?

someone must know
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I know of only one 356 Porsche, a '65 Cab, painted in that manner by Big Brother roadie Dave Richards. We had it for years at the Petersen Museum in LA when I was still a docent there.

http://www.rockhall.com/exhibitfeatu...joplin-porsche

Perhaps it a "tribute" car.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

That's what I'm thinkin...

That she only had the one car...the '65 Cab

The "Port Arthur speedster" appears to be a knock-off...I just hope they used a repro speedster for that project.

Port Arthur's her home town, so I can understand the level of effort there...

and...I'm not sure where the '65 Cab lives. I believe the Joplin family actually still owns the car, but it's been everywhere: The Petersen Museum in L.A., the Rock & Roll Museum in Cleveland, and only god knows where else.

Ciao
    Thom

Oddly enough, I saw Janis' '65 Cab yesterday.

Its currently in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, along with Roy Orbison's last car, a red '67 Corvette roadster.

The TX "Speedster" scores double points for being both a fake Janis car and a fake Speedster to boot... triple points if you want to consider it as a fake C Cab as well...