Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlights-change from stock to Marchal Amplilux

Headlights-change from stock to Marchal Amplilux

if i was to put these amplilux in, and take out the stock lights, i would also need to get the lens/chrome ring as in the H4 setup?
    I looked at old thread that Bob Tilton had posted etc, but i am still a little unsure of what to get/buy .. now that i have these amplilux.

thanks,

Karl.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Karl,
    I think that you will have problems with those bulbs behind any lense with the fluted optics. Having the plutes, one on top of the other, screws up the pattern and intensity. You will probably need a clear lense like an early US Volkswagen lense. (I should have several of those laying around if you want a pair)
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

thanks Dave

Dave, that sounds like what i need.

i saw bob's thread here, and what he did as well as what Jens did
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=amplilux

put the marcus sucro relay kit with the amplilux, but then what buckets/housing options do i have?

thanks,
    karl.

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Since those Marchal lamps appear to be replacements for sealed beam lamps, I suspect that a pair of mid 60s VW headlight assy's would work fine. (50s and early 60s had different adjustment screw locations.) You would need to remove the VW bezel and use an H4 bezel of course. I have a box of the VW assy's, but they would all need stripped and restored.

Let me know if you want to try them out.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

thanks again

Dave, give me shout when you get a chance ...
    karlodonoghue@gmail.com

H4 + H1 only came with fluted lenses, it seems? Cibie lenses were fluted as well?
    Using a H4 assembly (chrome bezel) but with a clear lens, such as a VW lens, is the answer?

something like this?
    http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/De...m?ID=111941037

Karl.

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

why bastardize (is that a word?) the lights. will the marchal's give you better light? H1's if ROW car or sealed beams if US car, all readily available.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

better light

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03
    will the marchal's give you better light?
    Yes, apparently they will give better light.
    I figure with marchal asembly, h4 bezel, and vw lens, it should work out fine.

thanks,

Karl.

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Karl - saw this post and went out to the garage to take a couple pics since I have the stuff on the garage floor.
    To assemble what you want you need H4 chrome rings, clear lenses, Hella buckets, and your Marchal Amplilux headlamps.
    When I originally did the same conversion, Dave sold me the rings, buckets and lenses (thanks Dave). I painted the buckets with Soldier Gray which was an excellent match. In re: to the clear glass I learned that you can buy clear reproduction lenses without the Hella 19 20 21 stamping for around $17 ea from a VW parts place. I thought this was cool because I have this thing against mixing and matching (hella/marchal). I would have rather had the clear if I were to do it again. If the rubber grommets are missing/bad condition you can substitute fuel lines.
    The Marchals Amplilux lights are real nice. For me some of the cars that I most admire run them. Rolly Resos has them on his 67 - very cool car. Just a little somethin'-somthin' for the people who like to think outside the box...err bucket.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Rolly's car from Treffen '06:
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob...you don't need to paint the plastic ring area at all. Simply wet sand it with some fine grit sandpaper and they come up beautiful. I did mine a couple years ago and they're still perfect looking. At the time I was gonna paint mine as well. Now, however, it's all moot as I just bagged a new pair of H4's off evilbay...
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330