Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum door skin

Aluminum door skin

I have factory Alunminum door skins for 911 doors. I have removed the steel skin from a standard door. The aluminum skin has a 90 degree bend completely around the edge of the skin which can be bent around the edge of the steel frame. Any tips on the bending operation? Does anyone know if factory Aluminum doors used a steel or Aluminum frame?

Cool I had no idea...

the factory even did alu door panels... that's pretty neat.

so, please enlighten me some more**: when were these alu panels made? I always thought fiberglass was the preferred lightening medium - at least it was, back in the bad old days. Are we talking about a more recent product here?

Apologies to Mike for not providing any sort of answer to his question!!

Cheers
    Thom

**gotta love this forum...I learn something new - however trivial or not - just about every time I log in...

ALU door skins

ALU door skins were available from Porsche for the 911S circa 1970-72 for the 911 ST. They are listed on the Sports Purpose parts list. For these, the skin was rivetted to a steel door frame, which typically would have been lightened by cutting out any excess material on the inner side behind the door panel.

Some door frames were also made in ALU but I am uncertain as to their application.

Polak had a stack of ALU skins when they had their big sale.

I would be interested in purhcasing the skins if you decide not to use them.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

You need a door skin roller crimping tool like this one http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT You basically tap the flange down and use the tool to crimp the skin to the frame. Not sure how rivets would work without showing through, but if ST originality isn't a issue, I suggest that 3M panel epoxy that all the new cars use to glue on quarters and roof panels. Good luck Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

factory aluminum door parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

aluminum door skins

Ernie

I realize this thread is old, but I was wondering where the two large pieces of aluminum go on the door? Also the pieces for the door handle do they go on the inside of the door or outside?

Mike
    Mike

You might try calling Ed Palmer or Hans Lapine at Kundensport in Camarillo, CA

http://www.facebook.com/login/setash...T/234525397709
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

it can be done by hand with a body hammer and a wooden block. I did many over the years this way, often with no damage whatsoever to the skin. the new tools do make life easier. I would strongly recommend taking them to a bodyshop that does this kind of work on a regular basis. 3M panel bond, 08115 works well for the flange.

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    The handle pieces go on the outside-
    The handle pieces are reinforcements and are fitted on the inside of the door.

Cheers,
    JR

911 Aluminum doors

The Alu door parts in my photo all are used to reinforce the door after the steel skin is replaced by the Alu skin. the small ones, go behind the handle (inside the door) and the long large ones double the locking ketch mounting area. If you look at the ketch end of a series door you'll notice the screw pattern. Alu skin was both crimped and pop riveted, the rivets are along the edge just behind the front fender. Also the 959 has Alu. doors.
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry