Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Kremer ST Recreation in progress

Gib, I'll be using the white car (72T/ST). It has tweaked RS rear flares, FG ST front flares, CF hood, and Euro driving lights now. I have 8 & 9x15 Fuchs, a 100L tank, vintage Recaro buckets, hood lamps, aluminum deck lid/license panel, and most of the parts to build the twin plug MFI 2.5 long stroke motor. I'll keep the steel rear bumper and modify it like you did. The FG RS style front bumper/oil cooler, and roll cage, will remain for safety/longevity. Some ST 911s did evolve to this configuration anyway. Still deciding which ST to pay tribute to...
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe
    I have bought a couple of 914 grills for the horn grill covers, brake cooling openings, and engine lid opening cover.
    Let me know if you have any excess. I'm thinking about covering my 914-6/GT oil cooler opening with the same material.

If not no biggy... I can probably scrounge up a 914 grill easy enough

Randy... switch is yours.

E.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

varunan123:

I had forgotten about that shot of the yellow Kremer car in Starkey's book, thanks for reminding me. Looks like 9" Minis front and rear. I have not seen pix of this car with the wider flares, but they probably used them at some point.

I agree, the Kremers had a special relationship with the factory and probably did influence the factory race effort...especially in mid 72 when those prototypes were being developed (that we have covered in that great Targa thread).

E.
    I may have a little left over, will let you know, but finding a 914 grill isn't too hard. I picked up 2 at Ventura for around $20 ea.

Gib

Here are some pix of the unpainted 914 grill material on the horn grill and engine cover. It still needs new paint and some cleaning up, but it will work fine I think. To make it fit the engine cover area, I simply flattened the 90 deg. turned down edges of the stock 914 grill, and it has enough width to fit the opening nicely, and with a solid metal edge to give it strength. The edges are easily cut with tin snips.

Gib
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Some pix of the rear bumpers after some slicing and hammering to get the proper ST flare. The body shop welded up the slits and filled triangular openings to make an ST highly flared rear bumper. They also filled in the exhaust hole and trim holes.

Also, a shot of the rear seat pan/parcel shelf area which was totally replaced after finding rust from a leaking rear window at the corner. I sourced a complete section from my local wrecking yard, and the body shop completely drilled out all the spot welds on the replacement to free it up, and then on the original to get it out...followed by new spot welds to install. It is a beautiful piece of work, and really the only good solution since the seat pan is NLA.

Gib

Here are some pix of the early stages of getting Viper Green paint on the body.

Gib

Here are some pix of the front bumper...clamped on with old TS boxes, hood not firmly attached, but put in place for a trial fit. Also, the external oil lines, oil tank, and oil door mounted. PORSCHE-KREMER will go on the middle of the bumper. Tape is also a trial...needs more work.

I am thinking of doing a twin plug MFI engine, and am debating whether to do a 2.5L or larger. What do you think?

Gib

Going Twin Plug...

Been thinking about how to mount the 2nd CD box without moving the fuel filter, and decided to cut off some of the shelf that supports the relays, since I wouldn't be needing them. Here's the first mockup of the fit. I moved the orig. box slightly to the right and squeezed the 2nd one in on the left side. I used spacers to get clearance for the left side CD to clear the body panel near the rain gutter, which also makes it possible to plug in the 6 pin connector from the distributor and still clear the 14 pin connector below it.

Here's some pix of mounting the second Bosch battery cut-off switch in the speaker grill hole, and I modified the speaker frame to securely mount the switch. Decided to use the Rennline battery relocation kit, and the red wire is coming from the dash Bosch switch and upstream goes to the external Bosch switch in the horn grill and then to the fuse panel to provide power to everything except the starter.

Including some update shots of the oil tank, and bottom looking at the front suspension. New black headliner going in, will show pix later.

Gib

Very nice, me like.

I would think the 2.5 if you want to be correct or you could go for a 2.8ss.

Are you going to make the hard lines for the crossover between the oil coolers? That would be a cool touch.

Keep the updates coming.

Bob

Bob:

The engine is being built as a 2.5 twin plug. I am undecided about the oil lines to the driver side cooler. It would be easier to use flexible stainless, or cloth covered rubber lines...as some did in the day. Do you know of a source for making the hard lines? They do look pretty neat on the orig. Kremer ST.

Gib