Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Question

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Clay
    Kenik,

WOW, what is the story with the mid-‘69 mag case conversion? That unique casting was the latter 2/3 of the ’69 production. What are the casting dates?
    Hi Guys,

The seller and I agreed to terms today on the tranny. It should be shipping out to my guy's shop in the next week or so. Grady, you may or may not know him, but I will put you in contact if you like. His name is Bernie Buschen and he signs on now and again to this forum.

Mid-'69 mag case conversion? I am not sure what you mean. If you are referring to my '69S it has an aluminum 901, being a very early LWB (30th 'S' off the assembly line). If you are referring to my October '65 car, who knows? I found it as odd as anyone that the car would have a mag 901 w/ stock 901/0 gears! Here's a photo.

One more point of agreement, AFKQV is the best all around gear set I have ever driven, but I wimped out and swapped the V for X for a little more freeway civility.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Smile Transmission

Kenik:

Glad that worked out for you. Everybody out there keep an eye out for a 901/02 for my 67S. Thanks.

Mark
    Mark Wilson
    67 911S Polo Red, for now.
    307465S
    Way over my head so now at Europa Macchina for Restoration, slow and steady.

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Kenik,

Sooo, the 911/01 (711782) is in your ’65! That is a late ’71 transmission case. (There are two versions of the casting in ’71; the later with the rectangular boss for the numbers. The earlier version has the numbers on the rib.) The confusion was mine. The early ’69 aluminum is a ‘drop-in’ with minor changes. That late ’69 magnesium is much less easy. I have a late 911/01 for my SWB and it isn’t an easy conversion.

Normally that 911/01 casting is only used with a pull-type 225 mm clutch. For the 215 mm, push type clutch release arm to have the correct geometry, the pivot needs to be relocated. That is a machining operation on a mill.

Early on here, lets determine if it is push-type or pull-type. The issue may be that there were other modifications when the transmission casting was changed. It may be the 901/0 isn’t a ‘drop-in’.

Feel free to give Bernie Buschen my contact info. I would like to get good images and some measurements.

Mark, I’ll keep my eyes open.

Best,
    Grady

Tranny is in Bernie's hands. Lots of great insights from Grady, already:

Boy am I glad you were able to get that transmission. It still has the very early clutch release bearing. I don't think that has been available as a spare part since it was updated (superceded) in about '68. That may indicate the transmission was stored for 3-4 decades and be new inside. If so, it is a REAL FIND.

There a couple of later parts on the transmission. Obviously the axle flanges were updated to Lobro from Nadella. (For reference, they are non-simplified.) You should look for a set of Nadella axles and flanges, just to store with the 911.

Another unusual part update is the shift pivot. It appears to be the later 'hollow' version. This transmission would have come with the 'solid' version.

Take very good care of that early VDO speedometer drive. You can rebuild it to new if not improperly screwed with.

The fact that it still has the early TO bearing yet is updated in some other areas is incongruous. It is possible someone found a NOS TO bearing in the late '60s or '70s.

Critical will be the gear ratios (AAGAOUY) and the dates & S/Ns on the gears.
    She gets opened up this week. Here are the first photos.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

WOOF

Hi Kenik-

Well, opened up the gearbox yesterday and it does not look good. First off you have a bad Ring & Pinion along with the differential carrier bearing race sheared off on the Planetary Spool. I have yet to inspect and clean the entire gearbox but here is most of the info:

Bad Ring & Pinion
    Diff. Spool Broken
    Main Shift Rod Bent & Corroded
    Intermediate Plate Main shaft Bearing Broken
    Intermediate Plate Pinion Shaft Bearing Questionable
    Tail Housing externally oxidized & some very minor internal damage from a gear failure (previous main shaft failure?)
    Rev / Idler Chipped (O.K, to reuse after some clean-up work
    1st Gear AA, 12/68 Bad Dog Ring, Syncro & Brake Bands
    1st / Rev Slider Broken
    2nd Gear GA, 4/69 #2612 Bad Dog Ring, Syncro & Brake Bands. Main Shaft O.K, run out O.K.
    2nd /3rd Slider is weak on 2nd gear side
    3rd Gear O, 11/64 #64 Bad Syncro Ring & Brake Bands
    4th Gear U, 11/64 Bad Syncro Ring & Brake Bands
    5th Gear Y, 1/64 #676 Bad Syncro Ring & Brake Bands
    Release Bearing , Lever cup & Guides
    Back-up light switch

I have attached a few photo’s, will take a few more after clean up, please let me know if there is anything specific you want a photo of. I will check my inventory of new and used and get you an estimate in the next day or so. I know I don’t have a ring & pinion or spool, do you want to consider a GT Torq Sensing LSD. I should be around this weekend if you would like to come by and take a look.

Thanx, Bernie
    The saga begins.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

More photos...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Even more...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Last two...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Adding email correspondence for continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Clay
    Guys.

I looked over the list and images. I think the broken differential housing (spool) is the only part That I wouldn't normally expect.

It would unusual to find a good R&P in this old transmission. Yes, you can use your one out of the Type 911 - if good. There are new ones available (expensive) and the R&P from a 914 works.

Shift rods are a 'dime-a-dozen'.

I NEVER rebuild a 901 without replacing the two 4-point ball bearings at the intermediate plate. They are a weak point in these transmissions. Installing a R&P, I always replace the two differential tapered bearings and the two roller bearings in the main casting.

If the nose piece doesn't clean up, good used ones are available.

It appears that the 1st gear-set was replaced with the input shaft. Interestingly it has a '64 date on the 1-R sliding sleeve.

It isn't surprising that the input shaft has been replaced. The good news is it inspects OK and if it shows distress, that is a common shaft from a '70-'71. The good news is it is a 'reinforced' shaft with the 14 mm threads. It appears that 2nd gear is OK using new/used engagement dogs and syncro parts.

You would normally replace the 2-3 and 4-5 sliding sleeves. With engagement dogs and syncro parts, the 3-4-5 gears may be serviceable.

That clutch release bearing hasn't been available for decades. The later version fits with just two little plastic parts. I agree about the plastic cup. I would replace the pivot also. I suspect this transmission has the original pivot that presses into the casting. Almost immediately the Factory discovered that was a bad idea. There is a threaded insert upgrade that accepts the later threaded pivot.

Backup light switch of course.

Search Pelican on my name and 'Dam Seal' That is a little extra seal that diverts any oil leaking past the input shaft seal and prevents it from getting in the clutch.

The original hardware on this transmission was not cad plated. It had a black chemical treatment that sorta slowed the rust. Your hardware is rusty probably because it was cleaned and nothing done to prevent corrosion. The original treatment can be redone.

Kenik,

Don't despair. It may take buying a half-dozer transmissions to get the best parts at an acceptable net cost. You then sell the 'leftovers'.

After Bernie has inspected everything, you might have him reassemble everything in the case. This shouldn't be intended to ever run, just so nothing is lost and you can add preservative oil.

Best,
    Grady
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik if interested I "might" have a couple non-simplified diffs and pinon's let me know if you would want me to dig them out.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe