Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 901 Transmission & 210+ HP

Factory 911R and 914-6 Race Engines rated at 220HP had 901 transmissions...as mentioned good clutch and no burn outs...they do just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by ErVikingo
    Strengthen the 901 (side plate and int plate), good clutch, no burnouts (no Porsche tranny drivetrain that) and you should have no problems.

I have more HP than that and have never had a problem.
    If it is a mag 901, yes. If this is your factory 901 for the 67S, it will be aluminum; no need for an aluminum side and intermediate plate since it is already all aluminum!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

John,

I've been running my stock 901 mag cased tranny with my 2.8 for over a year now with no problems. In its current state of tune my 2.8 makes about 220 HP. I use a centerforce 215mm competition clutch which holds the power with no problems and has light effort and really good feel. It is a perfectly stretable clutch that I highly recommend. Like everyone says, just go a little easy on 1st gear, and other than that you should be fine. I used to beat the #$%# out of this tranny, including 1st gear, when the car still had the 2.2S motor and it dealt with it just fine. That was a STRONG 2.2, making 172hp at the wheels. So while I do not stomp on it in 1st with the 2.8, I don't baby it either.

I'm about to bump the power of the 2.8, so I'm looking for a strengthened/reinforced 901 with alunminum intermediate plate and side cover and an LSD (by the way, if you're running an LSD, that will stress the transmission more as well). I don't think it is absolutely necessary, but it will be good for peace of mind for those 3,000 mile road trips down to Treffen when it gets flogged pretty well.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

Driveshafts???

John,

I believe there are big issues getting SWB driveshafts to mate with 69 or later (LWB) transmissions. I understand this is a major project involving changes all the way back to the differential side gears. (though I have been mistaken before )

Unless you change ratios, 4th in a 4 speed is the same as 5th in a 5 speed so one would not see any difference in top speed.

johnt

With all transmissions max HP is not the question.

The problem is too much torque. I believe the stock 901 box is good for around 200 ftLbs max. Any more than this and a 915 is a safer option.

Don't forget that a highly strung race motor may have over 200HP but it is likely that the peak torque is less. However an upgrade to a later larger engine could cause problems even if the HP was in that ballpark.

As everyone has said, don't try a drag start with a 901 with any engine or you'll break it.

With all transmissions max HP is not the question. The problem is too much torque.
    Exact. That is what my experiences are.

Richard