Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ST Tribute

Cam,

Don't remember clipping anything of yours mate...

However HAVE been editing LOTS of double and triple posts...

I know the board is a bit slow (God Knows... ) but please, patience gentleman, patience......

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck, Rick and Cam.

Rick, to answer your questions on the flares.
    Every photo I have on each car, there does seem to be slight differences between them, mainly in width. The profile however remains roughly the same.
    Given my background in body work I hand made the flares in about 4 pieces and then metal finished them. I did one side first using the reference photos I have, then used a template tool to make sure the other side was the same. The flare size I went with is similar to some of the 72 cars. You are right in saying you could cut up a turbo flare, it would be an easier way to do it. However, the problem is a turbo and an ST flare have a very different wheelarch profile, ie. turbo is very round where as an ST is closer to an RS.
    The front fenders are in fiberglass and I believe the mould was taken from either an ST or an RSR as the shapes are very similar.

Attachment 40303

Cam,
    the shrouding was done here in Melbourne, but to be honest I wasn't completely happy with it when I got it. There was a mountain of work in fitting it to the engine and making it look spot on.
    I now have the facilities to start making them in the correct weave, just need to find some time to make the moulds.

A couple of pics of the car at its first race with yours truly at the wheel.

Attachment 40305

Attachment 40306
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    David Belford

Typ 901 Member #83
    Early 911S Registry Member #1257

St

David....

Welcome to the forum......what a spectacular car. I thought the 7's would look silly narrow but they arent that bad from the pics.

So, these cars ran 7 " in rear......w/ @ 200-220hp....what did they weigh?

7 sounds a bit narrow for the hp to wt ratio of this car.......I bet they slide around alot! Where is most of the power made?..above 5500? What suspension bits are used?.......what is the driving experience like?.......what what what what..hahaha..Im a bit excited..sorry.

Just wonderful.

Love the shot with the EH Holden in the background!

Phil I assume the exhaust will only work with headers and not heat exchangers? Do they make a version with shorter tube lengths near the flange where it bolts up, for use with SSI's?

Cheers
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Joelrkaplan,

Here in Australia the first Porsche to race in the Australian Touring Car Championship was Alan Hamiltons 911 T/R. It had deep 7 inch Fuchs and I think thats what the base the class rules on.

Attachment 40331

However in 1970, Jim Mckeown, Bill Brown and Brian Foley joined the championship and it would seem the tyre size grew as they all ran on Minilites.
    Know one seems to know what size they were but we can assume that by 1972 they were up to 10 inches

Attachment 40332

Attachment 40333

I think the cars back then probably weighed about 900 kg.
    They were allowed a capacity of 2300cc. I have an old book that states Brian Foley as "awaiting new higher comp heads and fuel injection which would then give him 255 bhp" still less than half that of the Aussie V8 Holden Monaro that he was competing against.

The car I've built is currently still on standard torsion bars and actually handled really well. Being so light it really doesn't need big bars. It has adjustible race valved Koni's.

Given I had no time to do any testing before its first race I was very pleased with its performance. Given some set up time, I'm sure it can be a class winner.

I can't really describe what it's like to race an ST replica, suffice to say the sound inside was overwhelming. 8500RPM Shifts......Think 1971 at Le Mans!!
    David Belford

Typ 901 Member #83

Exhaust

Cam,

Here is a pic of the exhaust on the car.
    If you want to run with SSI's you would need to custom make some connecting pipes.

Attachment 40334

I had the whole exhaust system HPC coated and then colour matched in the grey.
    David Belford

Typ 901 Member #83

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott
    Love the shot with the EH Holden in the background!

Phil I assume the exhaust will only work with headers and not heat exchangers? Do they make a version with shorter tube lengths near the flange where it bolts up, for use with SSI's?

Cheers
    Cam,
    with heat exchangers you can go with the MK Exhaust
    #rennfrog

That's one nice vehicle

or as we brit's might say - that's the dogs b*llocks !!
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Quote Originally Posted by e72phil
    Hi Cam,

pics of the muffler are below. I can source them ex germany from a special friend who has access to some of these really nice bits. He also has RSR plastic tanks if you have recently won a lottery somewhere....
    Hi Phil,
    already saw those pics somewhere,we maybe have the same source!!!
    #rennfrog

Hi everyone,

The car went to the dyno last Thursday and it confirmed my suspicion of lacking some horsepower down the straights. I only managed to get as high as a sixth place out of something like 30 under 3 litre cars and felt just a little slow down the straights compared to the other cars..... The first run on the dyno showed that I only had 124bhp at the flywheel!

This was very puzzling as all the mixtures looked good, and could only suggest cam timing. We knew the cam timing was slightly advanced for some good mid range performance but not that far advanced! We were all scratching our heads when finally the guy running the dyno said "lets check if we've got full throttle". Sure enough the engine was only getting a little less than half of full throttle! I couldn't believe it....the whole race meeting on about a third throttle. To make it worse the accelerator pedal stop was one of the last things I checked before the meeting. The lock nut must have come loose in practice and the stop worked its way down which gave less pedal travel. Oh well, I guess that's racing. Its got a good dose of loctite now!!

So with a quick adjustment on the pedal stop the next few runs showed 210bhp at the flywheel! Thats more like it, and if it was only a litte slower than the other cars, I can't wait to see how quick it is now. We could retard the cam timing to get more hp but will leave it for now and spend some time making sure the handling is spot on. It's a good figure to start with and with some tinkering, by the end of it's develpment we hope to get another 10-20 hp.

I'm sure a better result is possible at the next meeting!

I took some footage of the dyno on my phone camera so apologies for the quality.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/adebyoWVO9U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/adebyoWVO9U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C-t5Cyp0FIk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C-t5Cyp0FIk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    David Belford

Typ 901 Member #83