Thread: 1974 IROC/RSR: Build & Spec Your Own!!

1974 IROC/RSR: Build & Spec Your Own!!

Hello - I'm offering an opportunity to get in early on a project that I intend to sell when completed. My vision for this project is to do a street-able, 'mostly' faithful clone of a '74 911 IROC/RSR in a VERY period-correct manner. I am offering the project for sale now and will build and finish the car to your specifications. The car will be in like-new condition when completed, with great attention to detail and quality. This will be a ground-up build; the chassis will be stripped of all parts for complete, inside-out paint and all parts will either be replaced with new, quality parts or rebuilt/refinished to like-new condition during re-assembly. This won't necessarily be a 100-point concourse car but VERY high quality throughout.

I have a very good, rust free '71 E chassis/roller with factory sunroof and steel 930 fenders and quarters (already installed), and, a reasonable stock pile of parts from which to start but need to acquire the remaining parts to complete the car. Since the chassis already has the steel 930 fenders/quarters already done, a proper front apron conversion to support the later ‘short’ hood, and the chassis is CA smog exempt, I figure an IROC/RSR configuration would be a good route to complete it. It also has a current, clean California title and registration.

I have built several race cars most current and noteable is the re-creation car of Tony Adamowicz's '68 Trans-Am Championship winning 911. (No, it's not the Stevenson/Ahearn car) Thanks to the extensive participation of Tony himself, Mac Tilton and Don Breslauer (all of the orignial Milestone Racing men) and real photos from the ’68 season. “Quality and finish wise, it’s probably better than my car was in '68.”, admits Tony. This was an every-last-nut-and-bolt project where the car was built to 100% accuracy and authenticity, including Solex carburetors, rear mounted alum S calipers, period-correct Koni double adjustable rear shocks, and too many other mods and creative aspects to list here. This car was executed with incredible detail and quality. I can refer any serious inquiries here to the owner of this car, he is a VERY happy customer.

The car will be built at my home shop in Carmel, CA. I do have a regular full-time job where I am a mechanical engineer. However, I have extensive race car knowledge and fabrication skills and I regularly put those assets to work on a part-time basis for customers. I have a Lincoln 250-amp MIG welder, Miller 300-amp TIG welder, hydraulic tubing bender, tubing notcher, 24" plate disc grinder, Bridgeport CNC/manual knee mill w/ full tooling, 36" 3-in1 sheet metal former, shrinkers, stretchers, and many other fabrication tools.

I have these components already:
    *Complete 930 suspension (w/ alum. trailing arms, cross-member, etc.) that will be completely stripped, powder-coated, all new wheel bearings and seals.
    *Bilstein RSR coil-overs front & rear as 'helper' springs with original torsion bars (as originals had)
    *930 brakes front and rear w/ dual master cylinders & bias bar mounted in floor (as originals had)
    *3.0 liter MFI engine completely rebuilt and upgraded to be a pretty hot street/DE track level, 91-octane pump gas okay and very period appearing. Designed and assembled by Scott Kinder with all machine work done by Ollie's. Twin-plug with Supertec distributor, ARP hardware, 10.5:1 JE pistons, Nikasil cylinders, DC-62 cams, Carrera tensioners, all amber fiberglass engine tin, etc. This will be a brand new 0-mile motor.
    *Mechanical Fuel Injection with rebuilt & upgraded 'E' throttle bodies by Eurometrix, full 'RSR' conversion distributor pump, dual MFI tank pumps (as originals had)
    *RSR-like small 226mm fan from early SC
    *Dual MSD 6AL ignition boxes and black 8.5mm silicon wires, 906/RSR wire holders & lower boot hold-downs.
    *Chassis modified with '74 RS/RSR oil cooler duct (as originals had)
    *SETRAB front-center mounted oil cooler w/ RSR oil lines
    *Converted RSR replica oil tank.
    *RSR strut tower brace
    *RSR hand brakes
    *RSR aluminum rear reflector facia
    *RSR sway bars
    *TRE RSR replica roll bar with shoulder harness mounts
    *Fresh 915 w/ mag case, Gaurd Transmission or Quaife LSD
    *All new rubber seals and body gaskets, black window frames, etc.
    *All lighting, windshield wipers, sunroof (if kept), windows, etc. will be fully-functional as should be.

I think the car should be finished with (parts I do not currently have):
    *RS/RSR carpet kit, black or gray perlon
    *RS/RSR door panels
    *GTS (or someone like them) RSR replica vintage seats
    *Willans 4-point 'Touring Car' harnesses for driver and passenger. These make good everyday street belts, too. You don't have to latch the the second shoulder belt and work fine as a typical 3-point system.
    *Keep sunroof or remove and re-skin roof sheet metal (no fiberglass sunroof plugs!)??
    *New German vinyl black headliner
    *MOMO Prototipo steering wheel with PORSCHE crest horn button
    *RSR 10K RPM tach rebuilt and setup for MSD by North Hollywood Speedo
    *RS/RSR 300km speedometer by North Hollywood Speedo
    *Factory 915 short shifter
    *Radio delete dash facia
    *Recovered dash pad
    *Turbo tie-rods, bump-steer steering rack spacers
    *GT Racing IROC front & rear bumpers, duck-tail (as they were originally delivered from the factory) or later whale-tail w/ grill, all in carbon fiber
    *TRE replica '74 outside mirrors
    *2-stage PPG paint, clear-coated, color of choice
    *Period-correct PORSCHE script low on side rockers for IROC series cars
    *Lindsey Racing 17"x9" & 11" wheels with RSR finish, tires of choice
    *1-5/8" SSI heat exchangers w/ new Dansk Sport Muffler OR RSR headers

Of course, any of the above can be changed to suit your liking. Different brakes, wheels, seats, motor (or how it’s configured), whatever can be tailored to your desires. With no changes to the above specs I am asking $138,000. Naturally, any changes can be made with the price & payment schedule adjusted accordingly. A contract binding on both of us will be drafted and signed agreeing to the scope of the project, timeline, payment terms, etc. in order to commence the project. PLEASE, serious inquiries only.

Please feel free to email me directly: mz@propacksystems.com

Thanks, Marc

*The pictures shown are for reference only.*
    Attached Images Attached Images