Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody looking for '67 S Engine #961890?

You should not have told the seller it was stolen. That was your best bargaining tool but not until you saw the motor in person.

I wonder who actually has legal claim to the motor? When you bought the car "as is" I would think unless explicitly noted the right to the motor belonged to the person who it was stolen from (maybe it wasn't sold? Unclear), unless insurance paid him, in which case it's theirs.

Update: from comment below seems like same owner. So only if insurance co was involved would their be an ownership dispute.

How hard would it be to track form the owner of a (real?) 914-6?
    DMV, registry, etc. Pay an investigator. It's either a TX or TN registered.
    Last edited by rower; 05-07-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Wow.

Throw down! Time to call in the Gypsies!

Good luck and let me know if you want my rebuilt '67S eng for trade bait.

Or I have an original 914-6 motor too.

RL...

Robert?
    Ralph?
    Rodger?
    Rupert?
    Richard?
    Rumpelstiltskin?

Thanks Frank - I am definitely interested in your motor as it is a very close match to ours... Not quite ready to put names out there but "M/K" & "R/L" is first/last name~

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    You should not have told the seller it was stolen. That was your best bargaining tool but not until you saw the motor in person.
    Certainly it was and wish I hadn't lost my cool... but as dporsche74 said... $35k is not a bad price to pay for a motor, which is why I had been talking with Frank about the complete rebuilt motor he has for $35,000. The owner is not some rich car investment guy with money to blow, he bought the car in the mid 70's and has owned it ever since~ But it is a valuable car these days and would be worth it.

However I do take exception when a few middle men step in the way and try to sell me a stripped down long block for $35,000... Especially since we know it was stolen, weather they knew it or not.

Thanks all~
    J

I’m just trying to understand if it was me. I buy race car. Not a real 914- 6 but it has a 911 race engine in it. It’s a RACE car that never had a 6 in it when new so that engine came from a donor. No big deal most 914 race cars are not real 914-6’s. People have put in Hundreds of 911 engines in 914-4’s. I would not be trying to “check” if the engine had been stolen. I would have no idea how to do that. So if I decided to sell it and someone was interested in buying it fine. Then they claim that the engine was “stolen.” I sure would want some sort of “proof”. There are a lot of older 911 S with miss matched number engines ….. Why is that? Does everyone with a miss matched eng/ car need to worry that someone is going to claim that the motor in their car was stolen? And they should give it back to them?

Davep, no more engine numbers for you !!!!