Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hester

Hester

When I was in law school, my favorite professor was this salty old man who taught me contracts in my first year. He was really cynical and spoke his mind and I took every class that he taught while I was there.

Every year, one of the student organizations would have an auction to raise money for their activities. They solicited donations from the faculty of their time to spend with a student in some activity like tennis, lunch, or, like I bought one year, a ride on their 40 foot sailboat.

My favorite professor always donated a ride with him in his Porsche to lunch and back. He called his Porsche "Hester" because she was a "red S" which reminded him of the character "Hester Prynne" from Nathanial Hawthorne's "the Scarlet Letter." I was the high bidder on that item for each of the three years I went to that school. The last year, he let me drive home.

After I graduated, I visited with him in his office on campus a couple of times. My wife and his wife exchanged Christmas cards every year but, other than that, we didn't have much contact.

Last year, I was thinking about my old professor so I sent him a letter inviting him to lunch. When he got my letter, he called me and said that he didn't get out much anymore but that my wife and I should come to his house for dinner. We accepted his invitation and had dinner one Sunday with him and his family.

After dinner, the professor took my wife out to the garage and lifted the cover on the Porsche for her. Before that, the last time that I had seen Hester was 1996.

As we were leaving, the professor suggested that we take the Porsche out for a drive sometime, with me driving, because he didn't drive anymore.

I did call him a few months later to follow up on his suggestion. There was no answer when I called so I left a message but no one ever called back. I
    just let it go.

My professor died last month. I submitted something to the school newspaper for his obituary and attended the memorial service the law school held in his honor.

A few weeks later, I got a call from his son-in-law who told me that the family had decided that I should have Hester now. I offered to take the car and sell it for them but quickly got shot down. They didn't care about the money. They just wanted me to have the car.

So now I've got this 1970 911S. I've never paid any attention to Porsches. I did, however, work my way through college as an auto mechanic and I do all of my own auto maintenance and repair. I've been reading this board for awhile and I can tell that keeping Hester going is going to be expensive but money well spent.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man what a great story congrats.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Yes - great story. Good for you. Hold on to that car and enjoy it!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Wink great story

What a great story. I'm certain the professor would have been pleased to know where the car ended up.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hester
    They didn't care about the money. They just wanted me to have the car.
    Wonderful story, good to know that it's not always about money. Congratulations with your beautiful car!
    Arjen
    early s registry #661
    r-gruppe # 604

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Fantastic story and amazing car.
    These cars really do have souls beneath the beauty and the value for those who are open to it.

Restoration newbie.
    OMG, a sport seat and a race seat, nice. That's a hell of a car, enjoy it.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great Great story, enjoy the car as your old professor did. The way I see it you allready have $50,000 or more banked towards maintaining the old girl.

Kind Regards
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2

The seats are really great. They are both in flawless condition. The driver's seat is a Recaro racing bucket and the passenger's seat is a Recaro sport seat. The professor didn't like the headrests and didn't keep them installed but we found them in the attic and I have since put them back. (I took those pictures on the day that I brought Hester home.)

Hester has a fire extinguisher mounted on the hump in front of the shifter which both looks really cool and may save her life someday.

We found the original leather-wrapped steering wheel in the attic too. At some point, the Professor put a "Jackie Stewart" signature edition Momo wheel in Hester.

I also found the original muffler in the professor's garage. He kept it when he put the sport muffler on.

The car has the owner's manual in the glove box in the plastic wallet that with a Porsche emblem on it that came from the dealer when it was delivered [U]here in San Diego[U].

It also has the originial tool kit with what appears to be all of the tools in unused condition. The tool kit even has a spare fan belt with "Porsche" on it to identifiy the manufacturer.

The 'accidental' early S owner

What a fantastic story and a great introduction to the board.

Was your friend the original owner of the car? Please continue to add to this thread with additional photos. Hester looks like a very nice condition early S. The magic starts above 5K RPM, but hopefully you know that already.

I am curious about the color, could you give us the paint code for your car? It is a # stamped on a small metal plate on driver's side door hinge panel. Thanks again for sharing, one of the best stories I can remember reading here.

edit: I see on another thread that you already have asked about the paint tag.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299