Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hester

What a heartwarming story. Ironically you mention that he was cynical, it seems as though every time I'm feeling overly cynical I come across something like this and it restores my faith in humanity. Enjoy the car, and pass it along someday.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

From what I can tell by the scraps of paperwork that were in the glovebox, the professor bought Hester in 1977. The original owner took delivery here in San Diego. I wish I had more documentation. I have been trying to put her story together from the evidence. There is some overspray inside of the suel filler door so I know that she has had paint but it seems to be that color everywhere and the paint code says "8181-H" which HarryD interpreted to mean "Red Metallic."

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    OUTSTANDING.

Wonderful story and congratulations on your appointment to be the next lifelong caretaker of a now very special car. An awesome responsibility.

Hester can’t just sit. A 911 needs to be driven as intended. On the other hand it is your responsibility to hand off the care (say in 50 years) to the next proper person. You will want it as it is today. That will take a great deal of care and effort.

Please post more.

Best,
    Grady

PS; would you weigh the original muffler and post the result? Bathroom scales are adequate.
    Thanks,
    G.

Fantastic story. Congratulations. I love to see these cars that were modified with 'sports purpose' bits back in the day. The driver's seat, the steering wheel, the sport muffler,the extinguisher, lights, maybe more? are all perfect. A real time machine and the 'look' that many try to replicate today. I wouldn't change a thing.

I drove her last weekend. A buddy of mine who was in my first year contracts class came down from L.A. and I took him on freeway tour of San Diego - mostly at 90 mph and mostly in fourth gear!

Driving Hester regularly is going to be an issue. I live in the city and I never want to park her anywhere but my garage. Driving her mostly means taking her for a drive without stopping anywhere and bringing her right back home. She doesn't like all of this foolish traffic that we have here and putting around at even the speed limit feels like I'm hurting her. She likes to go fast but I insure a lot of vehicles these days and I can't imagine what my insurance bill will be like if I get any more speeding tickets.

I will weigh the original muffler when I can find a scale. My wife doesn't allow them in the house!

Your story makes me smile

The whole reason to be involved in something like this registry and with these cars is for the personality of them.....and your baby has tons thanks to this special story.

Like they say in Pulp fiction, "personality goes a long way".

Enjoy!!!

Jason

Hester what a great story, glad you got it and not a dealer. What kind of driving lights are mounted in the grills?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Those driving lights are inoperable and the right hand lens is cracked. They are Carello lights. Anybody know where I can get a clear lens for it? Anybody need to buy one more than I do (I might have one for sale)? I was thinking that, If I can't get a replacement lens, I could either get some horn grills and eliminate them or replace them with something currently available.

Welcome to the board first.

What a wonderful story and a very special car.

As Grady said you have been made the custodian of this great car, drive it as it was built to be driven.

There are many in S. Cal who get together for back road weekend drives, and those are often posted here. Just show up and enjoy.

Regards,
    Bob

So I pulled the fire extinguisher out to look at it and the date stamped in the side says "1969". Time for a new halon.