Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing Threads, Flippers, Dealers and Other Rants

begging the qustion

You have totally missed the mark.Your condecending remarks have avoided the whole point of this thread and the ones on Pelican.You are begging the question.You state your position and ask us to assume that all your deals are as they should be.Your hyperbole and extraneous stories have nothing to do with the issue.Here is your quote,"I do this as a hobby because I love these cars. every car I buy, I buy to keep, and when I get it I have it checked out at my mechanic and get the car in as good condition as possible, so I can enjoy it".That ,Mister, does not fit the scenario.The car didn`t even run! The issue at hand is the story of a post made by a new owner that bought a car from you that was advertised as a "no Rust Arizona car".According to the story,it was not.You posted pictures of the car and asked the board to be your judge and jury on a deal gone south.You know as well as most of us,you can`t see rust on this screen if it`s not desired to.That was presumptuous at best.Then you deleted the thread! Cut to the chase! Address the issue at hand.What the hell is a restocking fee if you are JUST a collector and why all the legal disclamers if everything is as it should be. Take your best shot,but try not to be pompous.Arrogance is not appreciated. TFM
    Member:S Registry #864

made a new friend ....his name is Yale..
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I say, if you are a dealer, pay a fee for advertising and identify yourself accordingly. We pay a fee to participate (share and learn about our cars) they are here for business so a small fee should be OK.

I like the idea of closing the for sale threads so only the starter can post and have a separate forum for feedback.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Years back I was familiar with the "Ferrari Market Letter" run by a gentleman from Atlanta, I believe.
    Ads posted in his publication were all in a required format, no exceptions. This was a very useful device to understand all cars for sale AND to seperate all the BS from the Buttermilk, if you get my meaning. I will look up the format this weekend at home, but it went something like this:

car / model / year of mfg / ser number / body style / paint color / interior color / ask price / and so on thru about 6 additional items / comments - 50 words maximum.

It was very easy to sort through a large listing of cars and contrast & compare, as well a validate each offering - with a minimum of hyperbole...
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Quote Originally Posted by mycarrera2.7rs
    I understand that many people on this board do not really understand what a car nut and collector is, basically someone with a deep love for the marque and the means to enjoy it.
    Unfortunately for you, what distinguishes a dealer from the rest of us isn't how much you love the marque or how much money you have in the bank. It's how many cars you sell over a given period and whether those cars are titled in your own name. Simple, really.

We should apply these same standards on this Board. As far as policing such a policy, I think most of us have the ability to spot the abusers. Set the policy and the rest should take care of itself. And if it turns out that a moderator is needed in the for-sale forums, I'm sure there would be volunteers.

My suggestions:
    1.Set up two for-sale forums, one for private owners who are selling a car titled in their own name with a maximum of two listings per year and another commercial forum for all the rest, including dealers, brokers and Indian Chiefs.

2. All postings on the private owner forum would continue to be free, all others would pay some type of fee, either per listing or yearly.

3. Listings on the for-sale forums could not be edited or deleted by the user. Additional posts could be added to the listing indicating changes to price, pending sale, etc. but not deleted.

4. All postings on the commercial forum should include the seller's name, telephone number, e-mail address and business name as well as asking price for the car.

I'm sure these basic rules could be refined but how is that for a framework?

I like the idea Reed but where would someone like me fall?

The cars I've listed I don't own nor am I a dealer (for the last 20 years I've bought but not sold a Porsche) nor profiting from it in any way. Just helping (trying to anyway) some friends who are not into the internet forum thing and also trying to bring to the attention of my fellow enthusiasts cars that are for sale by their owners.

I'd assume a post like this would fall in the proposed "non dealer" forum?
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks, Tom, for explaining your position.

I also like Reed's idea.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Here are the "dealer" details for California:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/ol/dealer.htm

What is a Vehicle Dealer?

While there are certain exceptions (defined in CVC Section 286) , in general, a "vehicle dealer" is typically a person who, on a full or part-time basis, buys, sells, trades, or arranges the purchase, sale or trade of vehicles, expecting some compensation or benefit.

I would assume other states have similar laws.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by ErVikingo
    I like the idea Reed but where would someone like me fall?

The cars I've listed I don't own nor am I a dealer (for the last 20 years I've bought but not sold a Porsche) nor profiting from it in any way. Just helping (trying to anyway) some friends who are not into the internet forum thing and also trying to bring to the attention of my fellow enthusiasts cars that are for sale by their owners.

I'd assume a post like this would fall in the proposed "non dealer" forum?

i think i have the answer to this; the stipulations pass through to the person you are listing for. that is you must list his car in dealer forum if he is a dealer (per descriptions already discussed); if he is NOT a dealer and YOU are not getting a commission then it seems reasonable to keep you out of the paid dealer forum (aka shark infested waters of doom ).

IF you are listing for a friend who is NOT a dealer but you are being paid a commission then the listing should be in dealer forum. IMO.

Still, i think we'd be fine and dandy just having dealers id themselves and all sellers answer the two q's (title and commission).

dealers and commission takers pay 5% of gross sales price into a t-shirt fund and once the fund reaches enough $$ to buy each paid member an earlyS t-shirt they are mailed out
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

I'm fairly new to the S registry, but have been active on Pelican and Rennlist and an enthusiast for years. I have to say that this all seems like a solution looking for a problem to me. I like the mix of people buying/selling/educating, including the enthusiasts, dealers, flippers. (somewhat interchangable, depending on what stage of their project, they're in) Buying low and selling high, I.E. making a profit, is good thing. How much profit someone makes on the deal is their business as long as they've fairly represented the product. If it's priced fairly and you buy it, you should be happy and not care how much profit the seller makes. If you think something is priced too high, don't buy it. The scammers and/or those that misrepresent their offerings and sell crap, rip people off etc. are typically weeded out fairly quickly.

al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com