Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Disappearing Threads, Flippers, Dealers and Other Rants

And so it goes. My point exactly.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by mycarrera2.7rs
    Since I was mentioned by name I will respond in a pernable way,
    first and foremost I have been buying and selling early Porsches since 1969, I have a core collection of 15 to 18 cars, most of these cars are registered to me, and are insured by Hagerty.
    I do this as a hobby because I love these cars. every car I buy, I buy to keep, and when I get it I have it checked out at my mechanic and get the car in as good condition as possible, so I can enjoy it.
    I pay retail for he cars and my mechanic charges me retail for ll the repairs.
    I consider myself a collector, not unlike a collector of baseball cards, stamps or coins, I'm constantly upgrading and improving my collection. I buy and sell real estate for a living should you wish to know.
    This really is a hobby. In this market I will admit that I sometimes make a profit, and this profit goes into restoring my collector car. I am currently restoring a 1973 911S, a 1972 911S, 1974 Euro Carrera and making an RSR for myself.
    Please check this out, last week I flew into Idaho, it was snowing, I purchased a 1973 911T Coupe and drove it back to LA, some 900 miles, in snow and sleet.

I had an absolute blast and bought a beautiful car, made a new friend and will I keep it maybe, maybe not. If a 1973 911S or 911E comes along it will probably let it go for market value, but it will have new rubber seals, a full service, new headliner and will move on in better condition, but in the meantime I will improve the car and make it a better vehicle because I have the funds and the knowledge to do so.
    The last car I sold was a CIS 911T coupe that I had owned and enjoyed for 4 years, I have a picture on my desk of my 3 year old girl washing it,
    I understand that many people on this board do not really understand what a car nut and collector is, basically someone with a deep love for the marque and the means to enjoy it. My daily driver is alsways one of my Porsches, and I probably drive 20.000 to 30.000 miles a year in early F series cars, because I adore doing it.
    For those that want to can me, let them, I am honest and up front with all my dealings, and am under constant scrutiny as I choose to be open.
    So for those who are offended about this, they have the choice not to read my threads, or buy my cars or respond to my wanted ads.
    "our" Chuck has known me for over 20 Years and if he lets me be on this Board, that should tell you something about me and how I operate, and a lot about him.
    As my father once said, you can't please everybody, and I don't try to.
    We have a tough, strong and honest group of people here, and I always appreciate input of any kind. That said I am selling a bunch of my cars, as I am taking a new direction, and the wife is getting mighty ****** with having so many cars in the driveway.
    Take care all, and happy holidays,
    regards,
    JP

Hi Folks. Hope everyone had a nice holiday. The above post is the Jack I bought his 911E from. The one who told me he had the engine out to replace the sheet metal and while there also replaced the motor mounts. That is why I was so surprised at the car when I received it. Jack suggested we have someone from this board go see it where it is currently at Autohaus in Chatham, NJ. and I thought that is a great idea. It maybe a strange request, but does anyone on this board have an interest as serving as a neutral party?

I don't want our discussion to end up in too many areas but it was suggested that in this general forum we would have a better chance of finding someone in the area to give the car a look. You can pm or email me and I can take someone out there from NYC or go out there without me or whatever. Thank you.

All the best,

Yale

(Boy, that photo above, yeesh)

I cross posted this to Pelican so I apologize if you read both boards.

It's been a while since I have written, mostly because of the holidays and the fact that the ex- Jack Molinier car is 1/2 hour away from me at Autohaus in NJ. I went out there today however to take some pictures and think about what to do now. I asked Gene at Autohaus to drive the car. We drove it around a bit and I told him about how I have learned a lot reading these boards. Like how people value the original injection systems but that this cars PMO system was supposed to have been an improvement on the Weber carb set up that some of the earlier Porsche's had.

I took some pictures of the interior and Gene opened the engine compartment and said, "Yale these aren't PMO carbs they ARE Webers."

Here is what my friend Jack said in his ad:
    >>
    The a/c recently had $ 500- overhaul not counting the cost of a new rotary compressor, the engine does not smoke or burn oil and has excellent oil pressure. I just had a $ 1.500- ,engine out, service, including new motor mounts and new powder coated sheet metal throughout.The MFI was replaced years ago with a PMO carb kit and runs very strong.

Don't forget the 911E is not only a rarer machine than the 911S but is also faster from zero to 100 MPH.

The interior is all original except for new carpets and a recovered Targa top, the leather seats have a wonderful patina, the steering wheel is in great condition, the dash has the usual cracks and all the door pockets are all in place.<<

Photo on the Pelican site of some wonderful patina;

Note: Jack did have a picture of a shift knob in the car when he was selling it. Why would he bother taking that off? Is that a rare item or somethng?

Some people have made the comment that I didn't go look at the car and so I get what I get. Obviously I should have looked at the car and was stupid not to have, (particularly in this case.) What I keep going over in my mind though is why does that excuse someone from flat out telling you stories? I am sure many of you have sold cars and it is possible you have not mentioned some defects with the car that you were selling, how far should that reasonably go I wonder? As well, how many of us would stand behind what we sell others?

Jack told me he had a German buyer which is why I pushed the "buy it now button," maybe his hope was that the car would leave our shores and his hair? Or maybe he expected someone, unlike me, who works on their own cars and wants to have a yellow 73 E targa with leather interior. I don't know.

Someone on the board said to me that I will always be angry about this car. And finding yet one more thing with the carbs not as advertised I am afraid they are right. So I am going to fix the rust and sell the car.

I do really appreciate all the suggestions from the early 911 community. A lot of people also wrote me off the boards with ideas which I really appreciated. Some people called me names but that goes with the territory, I guess my story would seem especially foolish if you are someone who buys lots of cars...I live in NYC and have only owned 4 cars my whole life, (and I bought my first one when I was 43!)

Yale
    Attached Images Attached Images   

dissappearing threads flippers and other rants

Before Richard Parr made his own version of a Weber, he sold genuine Weber carbs. The business used to be named "Porsche Mail Order" I'm sure Porsche's lawyers shut that down, so it became PMO selling Weber carbs for conversions, hence the phrase PMO carb kit, which is what you have on that car. When Weber stopped making carbs Richard bought the rights and tooling, now selling his own variation of a Weber, the "PMO"

I don't think the shift knob was any great loss, it looks the innards left on the shaft of one those aftermarket wooden deals.

I guess you're now one of the "eight million stories in the naked city"
    (in case you're too young, that was the catch phrase of an old TV series)
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.