Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TTG(Thru The Grill) Fog Lamps - Lamp Bracket Base

TTG(Thru The Grill) Fog Lamps - Lamp Bracket Base

I bought Hella 118 (French H3) Fogs, but there was no locking tab or mounting bracket, just what is shown in pics below;
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

on neunelfer's thread i see a tab shown ... which would seem to indicate that it connects to a thru the grill bracket

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

and i see brackets for sale by msroadrace on ebay

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Am I correct in thinking that i need to find 2 pieces:
    1 = mounting base with tabs?
    2 = TTG (thru the grill) brackets?

I guess a 55WH3 bulb will do?

For the brackets, and seeing that I have 1973 black plastic horn grills, I can either cut one part of my grill or look for brackets that do not require grill cutting?
    Is this correct? I seem to remember that there were brackets that did not require cutting of grills -- i am correct in so thinking?
    If Monsieur Hella or any other kind souls could illuminate me in any way, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Karl.

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Thanks Mark. I had seen that and read thru it, as well as searched for other posts. I guess my posting this time has to do more with interpreting all the info that i find from searching, and making sure that i make the correct conclusions.

Karl.

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Karl,
    The "tabs" in your 3rd pic are from a 914...I believe. You don't want that style. The attached pic is a lousy perspective but the only one I have from when I had fog lights.
    In re: to the brackets, check with jktz (Jon Sycip). He did a small run and my have more in stock. Otherwise ck with Tom from Deutsch Motorsport in Concord, CA. I know he has a jig to bend the brackets. Let me know if you need his contact info.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Some pictures of correct 911 setup. The bracket in the other picture above is 914. The last picture in my post shows the uncorrect TN1/2 but has the corrcet bracket.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Karl,

Everyone is giving you the correct info. John's photo in the upper left showing the light and the grill is even showing the factory swivel. The differences in that swivel and the aftermarket swivels are one: that the nut is welded to the swivel body. Aftermarket is a loose nut. And two it has the cap head bolt. Aftermarket is a hex head bolt. I also think that the Porsche spec bracket was a one piece where the majority of the older aftermarket brackets were split into two halves. Might be out ta lunch on that though. I've not had a factory set in my hands yet. The newer swivels from Hella seem to indicate that they went to a single piece swivel across the board with this type of light.

Yes you will need the brackets.

I'd go with 35W H3s especially with the tinted reflector. I have a theory that the 55W H3 gives off to much heat for this small of a case and that is one of the reasons the 55W amber driving lights have the amber glass lense versus the amber tinted reflector. Might burn or cause the amber tint to peel.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Karl,

I just went through all of this (hence the restoration thread) and Michael is the pro on this stuff.

Bob is correct. That mount pictured is definately for mounting to the nose panel of a 914. While it will "work" with the needed mounting brackets it will situate the light about 1/2" to an inch higher than the 3-piece 911 mounts pictured in John's post.

I have some pictures of the change out process that I'll try to post later. Let's also comment that it's "not especially fun" to get these things on. I had my (battery box) mounts on already so I had to go back to square one to get them together with the proper 911 base mount.

The easiest way with the 3-piece 911 base mount is to remove the batteries, mount the lights (with the grills sandwiched in their proper place) to the battery box mounts and reinstall as a component (see the first picture in John's post). It's fun getting the M6 bolt through the top hole on the battery box and into the bracket!! Once installed you can put the batteries back in, screw in the grill screws and call it a day.

Here's a list of what you need:

1. Battery Brackets. (someone here made them)
    2. 911 3-piece mounts as shown in John's post.
    3. Grill template from Michael and a Dremel with the carbide cut-off wheel. (small file set to perfect the edges).

Hope that helps.

Big thanks again to the "Period Parts Whore" for the proper brackets!
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook