Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0 911S motor build for my '68, advice?

2.0 911S motor build for my '68, advice?

I have an opportunity to buy a '68 longblock for $500. Engine number is 3380373 so I think it's a mag case. I was thinking about buying it and selling the heads and PC set and then starting on an "S" engine with the cams, heads, and PC set.

I have a 2.2T motor currently in my car that I would salvage the Weber 40 carbs, heat exchangers, shroud, and other various and sundry parts from.

My car was originally a sporto, but it has a 901/2 in it now, so probably a good match for the 2.0 S motor?

I would do as much of the work as I could myself.

Any advice or comments on this project would be appreciated.

Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Cool, thanks Kenik! I guess it is mag, but will confirm when I look at it again.

Would be nice if it was AL, but Mag will work for this project also.

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Mike,

Go look at the engine type number. I suspect you will find it 901/17.

My info shows 3380373 as a ’68 normal 911 USA Sportomatic. Yes, that probably would have a mag case.

In ’68, the 911S engine numbers are the form: 408xxxx type 901/02 or 418xxxx type 901/08. My recollection is most (if not all) 901/02 911S engines were aluminum cases. I don’t recall 901/08.

Best,
    Grady

Grady, thanks. I still have to find out if it's 901/17, but I am sure it will turn out to be the case (no pun intended).

In your opinion, is that case a good one to build a 2.0S motor off of, if I get the oil squirters and time certs installed? $500 seems like a good price for the longblock to me. I know the mag is not as robust as the AL.

Thanks for any advice.

mag case

Unless you have too much money ,.the mag case doesnt need case savers or squirters.It worked fine until the 2.7. The 2.2 had squirters but not the 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter
    Grady, thanks. I still have to find out if it's 901/17, but I am sure it will turn out to be the case (no pun intended).

In your opinion, is that case a good one to build a 2.0S motor off of, if I get the oil squirters and time certs installed? $500 seems like a good price for the longblock to me. I know the mag is not as robust as the AL.

Thanks for any advice.
    No need for squirters, but they are nice to have and keep the motor cooler. I would not get cheap on case savers though, as heat causes pulled head studs and not having squirters could get you there on a hot day.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Mike,
    Assuming you are planning to put the motor in your 68 911, it is a good idea. However, if you don't care about a correct year case, you may be better off going with a 22 or 2.4 case. For the money you are going to spend on the rebuild, why not go for a larger displacement engine? More torque and hp for about the same cost.
    $500 for a 68 mag case seems a little pricey (unless of course you are trying match you 68 car with a correct year case). You can buy a much better 7R mag case for the same money.

I recommend what Gruen says; I did the same thing. I found a nice 2.2 case that was within spec on the mains. The squirters were already there, so I spent my money doing case savers, oil bypass, LIGHT boat tail on the mains and shuffle pins.

My original case will sit happily in a corner of my garage until called upon at a later date.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Guys,

Thanks for all the comments, this is exactly what I need!!

It's $500 for the entire 2.0 longblock, not just the case. Is that a high price still? I can get a 7R longblock for that money?

Squirters and case savers are good insurance in a mag case methinks. Not that much more money is it, for the added insurance?

I hear you on the increased displacement, but I was trying to keep this a semi-pure 67/68 2.0 S motor type of thing. Don't want an external cooler either.

I would do the assembly myself, so the costs would be the parts purchases and the outside machining.

Keep the comments coming, this is great!