Disconnecting axles

Any tips on how to disconnect the axles from the gearbox? I have been
    under the car with a 6mm hex T key but I can't seem to get them to
    release, they're on real tight.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One of two ways I use to do it. Use the E-brake to hold the rear wheel from turning or if you have vented rear rotors use screw driver in the cooling slots of the rotor to hold the rear axle from turning. The most important thing is to use a quality 6mm allen socket and a long handle wratchet so you can get some leverage.

One more tip is to use hammer to tap the socket into the bolt cause they get filled with crud and if you don't get it in there deep enough it will round out the allen head of the bolt.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

roll pins

1 or 2 roll pins keep it in there firm however if they have been there for a while
    you will need some brute force, they are crudy stuck.
    try using a chisel at an angle on the joint and tap outward, they are real tough to separate initially but with perseverance they will release/
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

So many questions, so few answers....

use a different tool

I used a hex bit and a 3/8 drive ratchet handle to get better leverage on those suckers. A T handle toll does have the nads for this job. They can be tough, but you shouldn't have that much of a problem getting them out. I alos agree ith the idea of using a hammer to be sure the hex is deep into the bolt head. Those are a bugger if they are stripped out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Not sure if they are all this way, but on my 70, the thread of the allen bolts are exposed on the backside of the drive flange. Some penetrating fluid will go a long way here.
    Like Quest said, make sure the allen bolt head is clean before leaning on that wrench
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I just completed this work on my 69. Fortunately, a gorilla was not the last one to tighten these bolts and they came loose fairly easily. They were still extremely tight, but with the E-brake on and the car in gear, I was able to get enough leverage to loosen them. Might take a couple of good "shoves" - just hang on the heat exchanger for leverage. Dave's suggestion about the penetrating oil is a great idea as mine were open in the back also. Make sure you work the gasket out completely, so you have some room to get a big screw driver inbetween the CV and the flange. Gently pry CV away from the flange working your way around so you don't booger up any of the surfaces. Should come apart pretty easily.

Have fun cleaning the joint up and putting it back on the car. It is pretty messy. The CV will come apart so you can clean it more easily. If you leave it together it takes at least 6X as long. Don't ask me how I know. Also, having a second person available to support the axle while you add the new grease is helpful and keeps you from getting that crap all over the place.

Good luck!
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Restoration newbie.
    Worked it out. Apply rattle gun.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exclamation Repacking CV Joints

Be sure to mark inner and outer portions of axle... as well as the position of all the races BEFORE DISASSEMBLY , cleaning and reassembly.
    later, JON
    ORE67S

67 911S-SILVER
    65 356SC COUPE -SOLD
    73 914 2.0 YELLOW [74K]
    74 914 1.8 WHITE