Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the number stamped on a 65 engine lid?

Hi Alan,

I've studied all the old factory photos from late '64 through '65 Christophorus magazines and they all have the satin black inset. My friend owns chassis number 300161. We sanded back the over paint and that had satin black under there too. At some point Porsche stopped doing it, but I'm not sure when.

It'd be hard to use Seinfeld's car as an example because it was a Porsche family car to start with (one off paint colour), so it may have had some obscuraties, but it's also very restored with it's originality under heavy debate!

Cheers
    David

old softie67S

front bonnet

It is suggested the front bonnet has stamped numbers . Anyone have a picture of exactly where?
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Thanks David,

You are absolutely right, original pictures are MUCH better than current restorations. I think engine lids will probably be one of the hardest body parts to learn about on these old cars. So many were updated to make them look like the new cars from 67 on. One day an original unmolested early deck lid may be a real prize. Heck, that may be true already.

I also must agree about Seinfeld's car. I'm sure there was more pleasing the customer than insisting on a correct restoration with that one.

Take care,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by LGK6D
    That's a great photo, which also shows the correct satin black paint in the engine lid grille. I don't think that the factory wanted anyone to notice the framework. Does anyone have any idea at what chassis number they stopped doing this?

Cheers
    David
    A 65/66 I once owned was made in Nov '65 (302947) and it still had satin black under the grill.
    Nate Y
    Early 911S Registry #1232

All the early cars I know of as original, 64,65,66 and I think even 67 had the satin black.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

For reference

All the early cars I know of as original, 64,65,66 and I think even 67 had the satin black.
    304678 (june 66) had satin black when the original paint was removed.

Richard

My black (6609) 67S, built Feb. 67 has the satin black under the shiny black. So may be all SWB's had it.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Christophorus April 65 has a good picture of a 911 showing the engine lid. No question black paint under the grill. My car is April 65, so black it will be.

I scraped the paint off that area on an early 65 or 66 lid I bought and it had red paint over primer with a very, very thin layer of black between the red and the later repaint white that I could only find in some of the areas I scraped. Have others found that this is an extremely thin layer of paint?

Drive smiling,
    Alan

67S # 306866 Euro delivery, 11/24/66 build has black satin.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

It's unbelievable how such a detail is being missed in restoration. None of the restorations I've seen have had the correct satin black. I thought I was going mad at one point and imagining it!