Thread: "E" MFI vs. "S" MFI

"E" MFI vs. "S" MFI

Exactly how horrible is it if you find you are using an "E" MFI pump on an "S"? Are there huge differences here?

Looks like I have a "010" on my 71 MFI instead of "009"...has this been confirmed as definite with respect to 010 being found on "E"s only and 009 on "S"s?
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

The 3D space cam inside the pump directly correlates with the style of cams you are running in the motor. In a perfect world the two should always be in harmony - S pump for S cams, E pump for E cams, etc.

HOWEVER, many years ago my MFI pump gave up the ghost in my 2.4S-powered 914-6. We replaced it with a known good E pump (on my S-cammed motor) because we were in a pinch and needed to keep the car on the road. While the motor did run, it didn't make a lick of horsepower. The T pump will also run, but make even less HP.

On the other hand, it is quite possible to have an "S" 3D cam in an "E" pump ... the tag corresponds to what the pump is SUPPOSED to be, not necessarily what it is. The only way to know for sure is to have the pump inspected by someone who knows ... i.e. Gus @ Pacific Fuel Injection.

Hope this helps...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

The code has been broken. Read here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=386414

You should be able to use that 'E' pump in an 'S' if you follow Jeff's lead. He did after all get a 'T' pump to work on a very hot cammed 3 liter. .
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    The code has been broken. Read here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=386414

You should be able to use that 'E' pump in an 'S' if you follow Jeff's lead. He did after all get a 'T' pump to work on a very hot cammed 3 liter. .
    Just read the whole thread. Very informative and a good read - I may crack the cover to my own pump as a result.

However, I would still recommend sending the pump in question to Gus for inspection/modification - there's nothing like a fresh MFI pump.
    -Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146
    Just read the whole thread. Very informative and a good read - I may crack the cover to my own pump as a result.

However, I would still recommend sending the pump in question to Gus for inspection/modification - there's nothing like a fresh MFI pump.
    Marco is absolutely right, if for no other reason, than you can be confident you are working with a good, known condition pump. That will at least take away 80 percent of your guess work. At this point I must stress I would not recommend anyone trying to make any internal pump adjustments without prior experience in tuning, or a very clear understanding of the MFI system and what you are trying to achieve. Keep in mind you can very easily get lost in your adjustments and lose your way.

The E pumps have great potential and can be re-calibrated to suit a large range of engines. We have used them in a variety of configurations, the biggest concern is getting sufficient delivery at full load, after that you can lean off the mid and lower delivery ranges in the majority of cases.
    Recently I had to tune Hugh Hodges '73 2.4 / 2.7E which still uses the original, modified 2.4 E pump, it had been running quite rich and would blow clouds of black smoke, this shows how much one of those pumps can be made deliver. After tuning it ran very nicely across the rev range!
    Another example was a 2.4 E modified and fitted with 85mm Nickies brining its capacity to just under 2400cc with minor re-calibration of the pump to happily run this unit with 140kw at the wheels.

What's sad is that getting a pump rebuilt by Gus takes an act of God. He's so busy, that his back up is apparently approaching a year.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    What's sad is that getting a pump rebuilt by Gus takes an act of God. He's so busy, that his back up is apparently approaching a year.
    What pump do you need rebuilt? I may have something in stock.
    -Marco

001 pump for sure. I also have some 005 pumps I think run, but don't know how efficiently. B asically, need to 001 for my '69S and was going to use the005 for a 2.3L hot rod.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389