Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler's Box Mods

Smuggler's Box Mods

I surgically removed (it required a large crowbar) my very tired after-market a/c some years ago and was left with only the pathetic in-dash fan for ventilation. As this car occasionally visits the track during hot SoCal summers, I wanted a bit more air. Air conditioning it ain't, but the fan I installed (pic) does help. It is a Jabsco 105 CFM 12 volt unit built I think for boat bilge use, available from most on-line marine supply outfits. A simple bracket, the slightly-modified top of a spray paint can siliconed into place to hold 13" of 2.5" hose/tubing, and an underdash on-off toggle moves a lot of air right at you. Pegasus sells a bigger (4" hose) 200 cfm unit for about $40 which would be even better if you can figure out how to duct air from it to the cabin...I couldn't. If appearance didn't matter, you could simply hang it under the dash.
    The second pic shows another mod I made. My car has a strut brace, which must be removed to access the smuggler's box. I removed the box cover's hinge screws, taped the hinges against the lid, and added the tiny aluminum tab shown. Bend the end of the tab as shown so you need only one sheet metal screw. This lets you pull the box lid entirely to access the smuggler's box without removing the strut.
    Hope these thoughts are of use to someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I've got the same issue with the strut brace interferring with the smugglers box lid. All I did was remove the hinge screws. I like the metal tab though. If I do that everything in the trunk will be nailed down.

Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

James,
    That bilge fan looks like it'll move a lot of air. There are also inline versions that can be used for this purpose (Detmar is one brand). BTW, I ended up getting plenty of breeze as a result from a loosely adjusted trunk latch (bra allowance) and a home-made clock delete plug that pops off occasionally at speed.

Nice trunk Rich. As it relates to accessing the smugglers box, my WM Strut modification allows the lid to open. I configured the added triangulated bar to pass in front of the lid to access those things off limits to the authorities.

Sherwood

I used the Jabsco which does pretty well because I had it on hand. The Detmar 3" fan moves more air, but getting a hose thru the opening in the firewall (see pic) starts to involve a little bit of bending or cutting, whereas the 2.5" hose on the Jabsco fits easily. But if I had it to do over again, I'd just crush the 3" hose & force it through.

Another point...the two toggle switches shown here, one of which controls the fan, are under the ash tray & not visible except from floor level. Just pull the ash tray, take its cover off, and bend a piece of aluminum into a rough upside down "U" so that it supports the tray front. Then mount the switches on another smaller piece of aluminum angle attached to the first piece. With a bit of experimentation it will look perfectly stock and cover a switch or two. This assumes you aren't still smoking of course.

James,
    The air flow is pretty high, yes? How's the sound level?

To fine-tune the air delivery, you could connect a variable resistor or even a regular multi-speed blower switch.

Sherwood

HI Sherwood,
    The fan makes a healthy blowing sound but I rather welcome it when sitting in a 100° car! I mostly use this at the track, where noise levels are high anyway. A rheostat switch would be a nice refinement.
    Jim

Here is the dash assembly in Cole Scrogham's 911R replica. He's got a lot of air coming in through the clock.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Not to be overly smug, I prefer my approach. If you use the clock hole, you get air in your face. My approach has it blowing roughly into your crotch, from which it bounces up. Doesn't sound so appetizing, I admit, but it is I think easier to live with, more comfortable!

You wear a helmet when you drive this car. Air flow is your friend if you don't have a cool suit.

You don't think with your crotch do you? Cool heads prevail.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Bi-level cooling. One for crotch, one for head. Both remain cool and contented.

Sherwood