Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't get my 911R rims to fit my SWB...

I think we are on a similar path, I like your choice of cars
    my 68 is at Karosserie starting a R inspired conversion. We should get together and swap notes. sent you a PM.
    Rob Abbott

took me a while to find this, but I will soon be in the same boat. (6s modified to 7" in the rear SWB tub)
    10 years on is there any new input given the current availability of tires or any other consideration ? inquiring minds want to know
    TIA
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan

I run 195 X 65 Goodyears with a 5/8th" spacer.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by typ901 View Post
    took me a while to find this, but I will soon be in the same boat. (6s modified to 7" in the rear SWB tub)
    10 years on is there any new input given the current availability of tires or any other consideration ? inquiring minds want to know
    TIA
    What is the ET of you modified rims?

A 7R wheel is normally an ET49 which has a backspace of 138mm.

We recently fitted a set of wheels with these dimensions fitted with 915 x 65 tyres to a SWB car and had to trim the rear fender returns to gain clearance.

We set around 2 degrees negative camber so we didn't need to 'roll' the arches.

If you fit 911R flares then you can reduce the camber.

We also have a SWB car fitted with standard LWB 7" wheels with an ET of 23.3 and a backspace of 112mm.

The shell has 7R flares and the rear trailing arms are shortened LWB arms. Tyres are 205 x 60 x 15 and again we use around 2 degrees negative camber

6&7R on the SWB......
    We use 185/65X15 front and 205/60X15 with 15mm spacers on rear for SWB (yes, they are different than LWB). They fit with no modifications to the body. We have put these on many "stock fendered" SWB cars.

However, if you are looking for the best set up, both in appearance and traction, We have put on AVON CR6ZZ 175/70 front and 185/70 rear. They look very "Vintage" and they will out perform any 215/60 regular street tire. (The AVON 215/60 excepted and it will just barley fit the wider LWB fender, not the SWB).

For racing or "short" tire usage the specs are different because the "short" tire doesn't go up in the fender enough to rub the top.
    HTH

I just ordered some 225/60 and 185/70 for a set of 7r and Deep 6s for my LWB. Am I going to have trouble running the 225 rear?

I used what Harvey recommended way back when he did my wheels. He also mounted my tires on the rims which I believe is worth every penny!
    I haven't had them on the car for a while but here's what it looked like:
    205/60 x 15 and 195/65 x 15

I'd take his advice on the Avons on the next go-round but will use 175's on the 4.5 chrome steelies as I have grown fond of the
    vintage original look. Stock rocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111