Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: READY SET GO! My 1966 911 Restoration..

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar

READY SET GO! My 1966 911 Restoration..

I guess I should start by stating how I found the car, no worries though, I will make it short. The car was posted on craigslist. After seeing that the post had just been listed, I sent a response stating what we all would say, "I want to purchse your car I have cash". After three weeks went by, I figured that it had been sold and I had lost a great opportunity. One Sunday morning my wife and I were going through the doors of our Bible meeting place when my phone rings. The caller asked if I was Freddie..yeah this is I responded. The woman proceeded to say that I was the first one who responded to her add weeks ago on the sale of Porsche 911 and said that I was the first to reply and she wanted me to be the first to see it before she let a line of seekers calling have their opportunity. She asked if I was still interested. I responded with an emphatic YES! I told her I was would be there right after my meeting. I think getting my nice pair of Allen Edmonds and Donna Karan suit dusty and grimey was well worth the visit to her garage. After a couple of years of waiting, I have now decided to get started on the restoration. My car is a matching numbers 1966 911 (302980). I was extremely fortunate to have found this car. The color code is 6608 Aga Blue. I have found the chassis to be dry meaning, no rust. All panels with the exception of one fender are matching to the car. Complete original black interior is in good condition. My vision on this car is to have a completely restored from top to bottom daily driver. I have already dropped the engine (903069) and tranny (901 44/65) and proceeded to clean them up and rebuild if necessary. The motor came with new WEBERS 40IDA but hope to find a good set of Solex's 40 PI. The car comes with chrome wheels dated 7/65. Like with all the cars I undertake, I start with first fitting panels before media blasting. Here are a few pictures of the start. Hope you enjoy the thread and stay tuned it should be a fun one...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

Subscribed!

Wish you all the best on your endeavor!!

Great looking car, very excited about the thread !!
    Last edited by pgxif; 03-25-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Looking forward to seeing this one done. Love the Aga blue. Thanks for doing these threads - I always learn something new.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Nice acquisition. Looking forward to watching the restoration and hopefully seeing the car in person. Will look great next to my silver 1966.
    Ron Wiser, Member #703
    Looking for trans 7190114

Go Freddie GO! I've vicariously enjoyed and picked up something, from everyone you've revived. This will be good.
    50/50

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    Paul, thanks for your support. Because the California DMV has registered this car as a 1966, I made the change on the thread title to reflect what is documented on the "CERTIFICATE OF TITLE". However, my own research and well documented restoration literature all indicate that my car falls into the range of a 1965. So, for the purpose of this thread, I will call it a 1966. I do want to point out clearly that my thread is not a serial numbers thread. There are already some great threads on this site that discuss chassis serial numbers. On all my restoration threads I stay away from entering the serial numbers topic due to the fact that there are various points of views that I respect on the matter. I would hope that those who read my threads will show the same respect on my findings. Having said all this, let's move on to showing how I save these great cars one at a time...
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

Seasoned Veteran

Neat thread, especially since I own 302981! Mine was also originally Aga Blue and is numbers matching. For what it's worth, mine was also sold as a 66 model year car. Mine is currently painted yellow and has a black interior. I believe my interior was originally light tan. I'm running a pair of Webers, but I do have the original Solex setup packed away. I'm looking forward to following your progress!
    Rod Schneider
    Ball Ground, GA
    66 911 #302981

Freddie,

As I mentioned before, best of luck and take your time doing this resto. It will be well worth it when finished.

I would love to add an Aga blue car to my stable but haven't found a good one yet!

I would like to donate a set of NOS wiper blades (correct for '66) still in Porsche factory wrapping paper complete with faded part# label still attached !

Email me your mailing address and I will get them out to you in a few days.

Best,

Chuck