Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some early 911..: R.I.P.

That would be wicked cool to see that car ressurected.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

It would be neat to see it rebuilt but who knows if the guy would sell. In this condition and depending on paperwork who can take a guess at what a real world value would be.

Other races run by Dennis Lanfre:
    Driver---Date---Event---Car No---Place
    Dennis Lanfre---7/29/1979---100 Mile Sears Point---31---20
    Dennis Lanfre---4/27/1980---LA Times Grand Prix---31---14
    Dennis Lanfre---8/3/1980---Portland Grand Prix---31---16
    Dennis Lanfre---4/26/1981---Los Angeles 6 hour Grand Prix---31---30

Also remember Max Moritz had a good relationship with Porsche and often bought stock cars (911s & 914/6s) and up graded them to race specification.
    Glenn Stazak

It looks like this same car might have been driven by Tom Alan Marx:
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---4/22/1979 6 Hours Riverside---31---50
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---4/29/1979 100 Mile Laguna Seca---31---25
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---4/27/1980 LA Times Grand Prix---31---14
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---7/27/1980 Golden State 100 mile Challenge---31---10
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---4/26/1981 6 hour Riverside---31---30
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---4/26/1981 Los Angeles 6 hour Grand Prix---31---30
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---5/3/1981 100 mile Laguna Seca---31---22
    Tom Alan Marx / USA---7/26/1981 100 mile Sears Point---31---25
    Glenn Stazak

Sear Point 1981

According to this web page it is 911 460 9048
    Which would make it the George Dyer's Mexico Blue RSR
    IMSA Race history from 1974-1978
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Glenn Stazak

The 72 chassis in switzerland jungle is indeed an ex- Lanfre/ Marx race car. The tell tale signs are the John Mason work on the cage and mods to suspension points. (i had a similar chassis that was modded by John)
    So this car is definitely NOT an original RSR !

There was another chassis that Tom Marx had raced (pretty sure the later AIR bodywork pic posted) in imsa and with POC (he held the track record for the POC At Laguna on the old course) Tom always referred to it as his RSR, but that could be suspect as when he was selling off spare parts, the rear control arms were from a 911SC. He did have some real RSR engine parts at the time EDIT: There was only one chassis and this is the same car 7/8/08

If my feeble memory serves me correctly, Tom sent the "RSR" rolling chassis to Bill Follmer, Brad Bodoh, and Jim Vial while they were associated with Circle Porsche in Long Beach. The car was totally stripped and gutted, most of the front bulkhead area cut out (I remember pics of it) , destined to become a tube frame. This was the "fashion" at the time- make a GTU legal modernized and lighter car. The project was never realized and the whereabouts of the car are not known to me
    Tom is living in the SF Bay area, Marc Rothman was his associate , along with Dennis and I think i can track him down. I know i can call Brad and ask him about it too.

So... nothing to get excited about here, other than an old california built Porsche racer that has seen much better days

Will post what i find out later this week
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

I found Tom and sent him an e mail for clarification on this car. I spoke with Mike Hammond (early s member and supporter) today and he was also part of RSR Associates on this car

So more info coming soon

Sad to see it is such bad shape
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

"The tell tale signs are the John Mason work on the cage and mods to suspension points. (i had a similar chassis that was modded by John"

Dave,
    That's a name from years past. Whatever happened to John?

Sherwood

Okay- here is some more information on the car. Just got a note from Tom Marx and here we go.
    The car was purchased from Newman/Freeman racing by RSR Associates as a slant nosed body on the chassis (the group of racers outlined earlier post) New info: Paul Newman was racing it with Freeman . It had been represented to them as being an RSR. Correct motor and already a raced car. Tom does not remember the serial # of the car and as the tub was cut where the large enduro tank goes, it was not important at that time.
    RSR Associates raced it in IMSA, SCCA, Trans Am, and of course POC. When the car crashed into another one at the Times GP 6hour imsa race, the front end was messed up. It went to Pauley Auto Body (one of their sponsors- good thing to have in pro racing!) and they repaired it.

AIR bodywork was its most prominent clothing for most of the racing.

This was indeed the car that went to Circle Porsche Audi with intentions of a total rebuild/ modernization for further pro competition.
    << Correction, the car was raced by Marx, Amberg, and Bill Follmer at Riverside 6 hour. Was crashed in practice, then pulled,stretched, fixed in time for the race. Replaced the motor with a back up (low on hp) and proceeded to run the race. They were in 4th and one lap from the end, a half shaft broke ! Car was yellow according to Bill when he raced it in the pro races
    The $$ expected never happened and the car was sold back to Freeman (in San Diego). He restored it and sold it for a whopping $250k (at the time that was a lota $ !)

Soo... here is a recap and then some speculation

1) the chassis in switzerland is definitely the RSR Associates car
    2) the serial # is gone from the tub, but maybe the dash # is still there
    3) California fab shop (john mason) did a lot of mods to the chassis (note the rear frame rails "u -shaped" for axle clearance , strut brace, etc etc)
    4) real RSR motor was one of the engines, but car sold as a roller to Freeman
    5) there was only one car that RSR Associates had

What if this car was originally a ST based shell that the factory sold to newman/freeman ? Now THAT could make this forlorn swiss jungle pile worth resurrecting! hmmm.....

Hey! Is that blood orange on the hinge post and fender mount flange ? heh heh !
    Last edited by TRE Cup; 03-13-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: updated info
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

John Mason lives in Santa Susana Pass north west end of the sfv. Great house/shop where he continues to fabricate for racers. Last I heard he was doing wings for champ/indy cars
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2