Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover Defender fans

hi
    just adding a couple of pictures of my "defender"
    about to start a running restoration, but it's driveable and needs only new footboards and the chassis leg by the fuel tank ...

love the photo of the defender about to go "over the edge" !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Please, for the love of god, whatever you do, DO NOT REPAINT THAT Series I.

It looks perfect as is.

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123
    I agree overpriced maybe
    perhaps, or even mos-def, but still iconic. To defy logic is just a symptom of petrolhead-itis.

I lust after these beasts, since i was a kid and rode in a neighbors old defender back in Ireland. the bmw tii has sidetracked me, but i will get there someday. Have an 01 rover as a daily driver, and it has never let me down. Even up 2 mile long private roads like Steven's when it does its best to impersonate Paris-Dakar.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by evilfij
    Please, for the love of god, whatever you do, DO NOT REPAINT THAT Series I.

It looks perfect as is.

ps don't worry - not looking likely !!
    it lived on a farm in Northern NSW (Armadale) for it's entire life ...
    is going to take me into CBD Sydney once or twice a week !!!!!
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

SWB Series III

My first car was a series III landrover. Had a holden 202 engine and nissan truck gearbox. Diff lock in the back. Big sand tyres. You could spin the wheels in 3rd gear. I had a soft top full hard top and also a ute hard top which I used when I went 'roo shooting. Great cars! I will try and find a photo...

Thumbs up

WOW !!!! ... very cool Raj ......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Beaut --

Beautiful rig, Raj. Nicely setup as well it seems. Lots of goodies.
    Raj, you just have the best taste in automobiles
    There is a Big Fat NAS 110 thread over here on D90, ... Jim Cheney (moderator of that board and keeper of 110 registry) created this file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Raj, you are my new hero !

I have always lusted for these Defenders for some time now, both the 90 & 110 series. Copleys in MA always has a good selection. My favorite though is 1997 Defender 90 wagon in Arles Blue with White top. Now that gas prices are dipping, perhaps it's time for me to look again here in CA.

Congrats Raj, really nice rig !

Very Nice LR's.

I have been doing alot of cleaning and I have come across my stash of LR ads from HS. I was obsessed.

There is a mixture but mainly RR and Disco ads '80s-'00s; an old series ad and a Defender ad.

I CAN'T throw these out. I would rather ship them.

Please, PM me a loving LR address. There is also a stack of LRO mags too but I can recycle those, prob. too heavy to ship.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Want to revive an old thread, as our family will soon found ourselves in the market for a 5 passenger vehicle.

For some reason, I cannot find a reason to purchase any one of the plethora of SUV's on the market today from the variety of manufacturers. Nothing unique or cool out there.

As you do a search on eBay and on AutoTrader the standard price for a '93 Defender 110 is in the upper 40's even saw one listed for $62,000!

My question is...Has anyone ever imported one of these? Have a look on eBay Germany and they are listed regularly for under 20,000Euro! Am I barking up the wrong tree?? Is there still going to be an EPA/DOT issue with a 15 year old car? Are shipping costs, dollar conversion, and any emissions conversion going to equalize the whole deal?

Raj, as you already own one of these...how do you feel with this as an everyday Mommy mobile? Is it too much truck for that commute to and from school? Is it something you can take, say 200-300 mile family road trips in?

SUV's and minivan's just don't inspire me! I grew up on the typical wood paneled station wagons, which were great and extremely functional. Rear facing third row seats are soon to be government mandated out..and would certainly not like one of my kids in a face first rear end accident!

That said, another alternative, which does inspire me...Mercedes Benz E63 AMG wagon with side facing jump seats for the 3rd row. Talk about a wolf in sheep's clothes! 6.2L V8 with 500 HP!

Any opinions on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

Peter