Thread: Need #266 RS paint info

Banned

Need #266 RS paint info

Hate to sound stupid but we're having discrepencies regarding paint code #1111 12. Color and manufacturer? Are there vastly different shades of this color?

Many thanks.

The colour is Light Ivory & the paint manufacturer was Glasurit.

Incidentally, the paint code for this colour is 131.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Banned

RS color

Andy,

That's what the info shows but the Glasurit 131 is drying as more of a cream than white. I understand that Light Ivory is not pure white but I don't remember it having this much yellow/beige in it.

Help!!

paint

why not try same code from different manufactures and compare,? they should be same, but are very often different.
    let us know how it goes.
    i work with sculptures on wheelshttp://picasaweb.google.com/Jancarfactory

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    paint code #1111 12. Color and manufacturer?
    11 is the marketing code, and 131 is the code that should be on the badge. The badge should also have the code for the manufacturer, and the paint facility. I would guess 131-8-2 for an RS, and the 2 = Glasurit
    the 12 is the interior code, and I believe means black leatherette with cord seat inserts. Confirmation would be useful.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Also, are you using the solvent or water based Glasurit? Would that cause a difference?

PS - 131 and 1111 generate the same formulae on the Glasurit site.
    Last edited by 72targa; 04-23-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

member #1515
    I've had real trouble with GP White, some look like an Oyster white. My painter hates water base, cure he says if you clear on top , it is solvent based, and single stage doesn't match.
    I actually got a good match from some bumper fix fellows. Who knows what they use, this is for small detail stuff though, but that is the hardest.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Andy,

That's what the info shows but the Glasurit 131 is drying as more of a cream than white. I understand that Light Ivory is not pure white but I don't remember it having this much yellow/beige in it.

Help!!
    wow, somebody who has ran into the same problem as I had. I repainted my car back in '93 and although light ivory was my color, when they matched the paint to the chip chart, it came out as a cream. I complained and they insisted that was the color off the tag in the door. And I know it was incorrect because my door jambs are original and it doesn't match. The car has been sitting in my barn since it was repainted, and it's still that damn cream color.

If you have a part of the car with the original color, any good painter can scan it and do its own paint mix to match this sample.
    But I'm not surprised a brand new paint can't match a 40 old paint. It can be new only once.

http://906chronicles.files.wordpress.../photo1100.jpg
    The two car on the left are GP white. The one on the right is Light Ivory.

2 issues I've found.

A: water born colors do not match older paints well at all.

B: modern pigments are much more vibrant then they were " back in the day " Partly due to consumers wanting brighter blingier, and I would think largly due to the absence of lead in the paints.

I've discussed my trials of matching Irish green already, well this past week I went to get slate grey for a '65 356 and the only formula they had on file was in water. The girl I deal with called to Europe and had someone dig through the old files from when the they ( Europe ) still used solvent and got us a formula. I now have a printout of that as well if anyone needs it. It appears to be a dead on match to some original paint I found on the inner sills. As soon as the car is back together, I'll post a pic of it in the Tech thread I started on it a week or 2 ago.
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects