Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 915 transmission question...

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

915 transmission question...

My 915 box rattles/tinkles when in gear and driving. if I move the gear lever off where the return spring has it sitting it doesn’t rattle. sometimes it does it more than other times... it certainly doesnt sound normal, but I dont have any issues otherwise. Grinds a few times into gear if I dont take my time. Im thinking of switching over to a GL5 80 90 from a mobil 1 75 90 synthetic. My throwout bearing sucks too, it also rattles when the car is in neutral... need to take that out. I have the lightweight flywheel. Thoughts?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Kris- does it make the same rattle in reverse? You've replaced the trans/engine mounts?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

member #1515
    You shouldn't be running a synthetic in the 915. Swepco 201 is the traditional oil for these boxes although Pete Zimmerman recommends something else. That may be part of the problem you have. I think the light flywheel would increase the noise but I don't have first hand experience.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    You shouldn't be running a synthetic in the 915. Swepco 201 is the traditional oil for these boxes although Pete Zimmerman recommends something else. That may be part of the problem you have. I think the light flywheel would increase the noise but I don't have first hand experience.
    Yeah, I already have been looking for some 80 90. I have some lucas 80/90 GL5 to pick up at the parts store near. I was going to do the kendal but I cant find it locally. I had swepco once and didnt like it.
    -Kris Clewell

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Kris- does it make the same rattle in reverse? You've replaced the trans/engine mounts?
    It has all wevo mounts that I put in when I rebuilt the engine. I have not checked for the rattle in reverse. I will investigate that next time I drive!
    -Kris Clewell

Might be an early warning that the shift rod coupler bushings are disintegrating.
    Joe Hartman
    Early 911S Registry #157
    R Gruppe #174
    356 Registry

member #1515
    Swepco has to warm up a bit, but it sure gives the gearbox longevity. The synthetic is hard on the syncros.
    It's the correct oil for the G50's only.
    David

My experience in 915... Kendall shifts better. Swepco runs quieter.

With the Wevo mounts, you are going to get more noise, but it really shouldn't be noticeable except at idle.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by JH0524 View Post
    Might be an early warning that the shift rod coupler bushings are disintegrating.
    the coupler bushing that I can see through the "cover" is newish. Its the red one. Some machined thing.
    -Kris Clewell

member #1515
    To check the coupler bushing, move the gear selector and hold the shaft going to the box. check for free play, there should be almost none.
    David