Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jade Green Original Survivor - Part 2

Jade Green Original Survivor - Part 2

My Jade Green 1972 911T is finally finished and I thought I would share some new photos. This car first appeared at the German Auto Fest in Sept. 2007. I wrote a story about my barn find, but gave few photos. See the link below:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=barn

This follow up story will provide more photos of the finished car and give a brief follow up.

Since the GAF Ventura show, I have repaired a few items to make it perfect. I upgraded the chain tensioners as a precaution. The original chain tensioners were upgraded to the 930 version with the stronger idler arms, hydra stops, chain ramps etc. This version was used instead of the pressure fed Carrera chain tensioners to retain the factory appearance.

I was lucky to find a NOS Leistritz muffler to replace the original unit. The old muffler had numerous small holes in it. The previous owner didn’t drive the car much and it looks like he only took short trips, thus the low mileage. Short trips don’t allow the engine to heat up to full temps. So the muffler doesn’t heat up enough to burn off the condensation inside. The old muffler was rusted out from the inside out and was beyond repair.

The first tires I bought were ugly Kumho Ecsta ASX tires in 195/65-15 size. These tires did not look period correct and they handled horribly. I was in a rush to get new tires on the car, because the old tires were flat spotted and very old! I researched posts on the Early 911S Registry B.B. (a great resource when you use the Search button ) and found some good information on alternate tires. I changed the tires to Vredestein Sprint Classics in 185/70-15 size. These tires look much better and they handle great. Ultimate grip is not as high as a wider tire, but these tires have a nice feel with a lighter, more direct steering effort. I like the “light on its feet” feel of my car. The new tires add to the magic of driving this car as the factory intended. This car is completely original and stock. It has never been restored. The factory set up has that special feeling that lured many of us to these cars in the first place.

I pulled out the old ‘80’s Alpine radio and installed the correct Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio. The radio set up took some time to locate the correct hardware, but it was well worth the effort. The radio has the best fidelity that a 1970’s radio could offer . Which isn’t saying much, but it looks correct. I don’t drive Porsches for the radio sound anyways.

The color still gets everyone’s attention. I’ve had two Porsche owners ask to match my paint color. My car has excellent, original paint and using my car to match paint samples is better than using a paint code or sample book. Soon this same color will show up on a Carrera RS and a 356 Speedster after their restorations have been completed. Good company for a special color, but then my car will no longer be unique.

Everything works on the car and it drives great. I drove up Angeles Crest Highway in Los Angeles on a nice sunny day. Here are some photos to appreciate the beautiful Jade Green color.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Beautiful car and congrats on the find. I don't own an early 911 yet but I'm having daydreams of finding one in a garage like you did. Great story!

Cheers.

Great 72

I love your car! I would love to see more pictures
    Peter Perry
    1972 911T Albert Blue coupe

Sweet car Bert. With scant few exceptions, the best cars are always the ones that have had the least done to them.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Well done Bert. Beautiful car for a special guy. You earned it!!!!
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

What a great color, saw one at The Charlotte Parade, very nice.
    Rob Abbott

Wonderful!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Congrats and great color!
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Thanks for the kind words. I love the color too.

Here are a few more photos that have been re-sized for this web site.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

nice car but you decide

flat six vs deep six
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser