Thread: Number of speeds on early gearbox

Number of speeds on early gearbox

Hi all,
    a friend of mine is offering me for sale an early gearbox that was parted out and sold to him years ago. We are not sure whether it is a 4 or 5 speed gearbox. The numbers that appear on the casing are:
    Top: 901.301.301.OR
    Bottom: 902 / 1 3280227

Would somebody please help me identifying its year of manufacture and number of speeds?

Assuming it is a 5 speed, the shift pattern would be like this?
    R 2 4
    1 3 5

Finally I would appreciate comments on its market value assuming it is not refurbished but in good condition.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Rafael

902/1 is 5 forward ratios, AFMSX, shift pattern is correct
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

902/1 is a 5 speed with some good gears AFMSX
    used in 911 65-67
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Thank you for your comments.

I decided finally to have my gearbox repaired instead of buying the one I was offered. Synchros are fine. I only need to replace the bearings that were making noise.

Now that my gearbox is out, I confirmed that the number stamped on the casing is: 901/07 7190082

According to an article I found on the Web, I believe this box belongs to a 1969 911E or 911S. I have found no information on the gear ratios.

My car is a 1969 911T. The engine is 2.2 with Weber Carbs and E cams.

Would someone please provide me with the gear ratios for this box and comment whether this box and gear ratios is appropiate for my engine?

Thanks in advance.

Rafael

Similar Threads

1. FS: Early Gearbox (19/65)
    By juche_namja in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 06:05 PM
  2. How many 4 speeds
    By Irish911 in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 11:41 AM
  3. 915 gearbox type number location
    By manu72S in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM
  4. Early Gearbox number records - Anyone?
    By CraigT in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 03:25 AM
  5. Maximum Speeds
    By jaudette3 in forum General Info
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 05:34 PM