Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any RGruppe pics from SLO ??

Nice job Bob.

Sherwood

Bob, I saw you photographing my car...where's my picture?

Here's a slideshow album of my photos:
    http://gs67.photobucket.com/groups/h...view=slideshow
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

pics

I'm usually not that into targas, but the silver/grey targa with the black steel wheels is very cool, nice work.

Matt

Sorry Kenik, I was not pleased with the pic I took of your car. Sometimes difficult to snap off a decent pic when all the cars are packed together and people all around them. I have to switch to "documentary mode" rather than "artsy fartsy" mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob,
    You even make Sepia look outstanding!!!
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

This is my favorite car from the gathering. It's Barry Williams factory built sports purpose 68...so many great details.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Mine too Bob. That car has it all.

I somehow lost my camera at the event. Can you send me a large file photo of Boris, Patrick and Olivia together? Thanks.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I talked to Barry quite a bit about his car. It was imported in '68 through a Porsche dealer which is quite unusual as there was no 911T in '68 in the US. All the Sports Purposes parts were installed at the factory. It was built to Group 3 (GT Category) specification. All the panels on the car are steel since the car already met the minimum weight specification for the GT class. As you know, the 911T was homologated at a lower weight than the 911S, which is the reason that the 911T was a popular rallying car. From the factory the engine had a twin plug kit (same as 906/911R), hotter plugs, 911R cam, 911R pistons and (I think 46 IDA carbs). Exhaust is 2 in 2 out. It put out about 200hp (slightly less than the 911R). Barry still has all the original parts but the car currently has a regular 2.0 911S spec engine. Car was equipped with a 100L steel fuel tank with a through-the-hood center fill. Suspension and brakes were the same as the 911S, there's no front strut bar. Wheels are 7" in the back (same as 911R) and 6" in the front. Spare wheel is a 6" as the 7" would rub the fenders in the front. The front fenders were flared using the same method that was used in the 356 fenders: A copper wire was applied to the inside edge of the fender lip and hammered down. (Interestingly my car has the same front fenders). The rear fenders were slightly flared (mainly the lip) to make room for the 7" wheels (same as on the 911R).
    Car has full S gauges, Sports Purposes rollbar and dead-pedal.

I think that's all I remember.

Barry showed me the Porsche documentation on about 15 cars that were built to the same specification (Group 3 GT). The list isn't complete but he has quite a lot of the vin of the cars that received the same treatment from the factory. It was quite easy to built the same type of car using the Sport Kit I + II but what is interesting about this car is that the upgrades were performed at the factory. If you ordered a 911 with a Sport Kit, the dealer would often times install the parts. The Sport Kits could also be ordered and bought from Porsche separately and installed by private individuals as the Sport Kits parts were really just that: A box of parts from Porsche

Cheers,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

http://nicolashunziker.com

Brian - PM sent.

Raj - I think Nicolas pretty much covered it.

Purchased a 50mm f1.8 lens (AKA the "thrifty fifty") today. Looking forward to using this lens on the next "assignment".
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Bob If you have more pictures of Barry's 68, could you post them please....Beautiful Car !!!
    Peter
    Early 911S Registry #1224
    911 T/R Inspired Vintage Racer - Retired
    2010 VW Touareg TDI - Torque Monster
    2010 Radical SR3RS - CSR Sports Racer
    Don't Drive Faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly...